Friday, December 29, 2023

my favorite books of 2023

 


Happy Saturday, and welcome to my second bonus post of the week. There's going to be one more tomorrow, so come back and check it out! 


In spite of a year that kept me busier than I ever dreamed, I managed to read 58 books this year. I'll take that! There were months that I read so many books in a mere thirty days, and then there was this month, when I managed to barely read three. As usual, I have some favorites that stood out to me, so I thought I'd share in case you're in need of reading inspiration in the new year. 


Here are my top three for the year, in no particular order, with links attached within the pictures. 


Someone Else's Shoes by JoJo Moyes is a book that I still haven't stopped thinking about. 



This was a tale of unlikely friendships, and a reminder to never take the lives we have for granted. So much of this resonated with me, because friendships are something I dearly treasure in my life. 


Maame by Jessica George was also a book that I am still thinking about.



This was a story about a young woman whose identity has always been wrapped up in her family and her culture. When her mom returns home from Ghana for an extended stay, Maddie leaps at the chance to move out and to gain some much needed independence. Just when everything starts flowing, tragedy strikes her family, and she begins questioning every decision she's ever made. She's forced to come to terms with her life, her family who can be difficult, and who she is meant to be. 


(Side note: you can read this free right now on Kindle Unlimited!)


Lastly is a book I just read, which was Yours Truly by Abby Jimenez.



I have so many things to say about this book that I'm still thinking about! I think what I most loved about it was the male lead; he struggles with social anxiety and his story shed light on what a person who goes through major anxiety issues and attacks feels like on any given day. I love how the female lead befriended him and looked out for him; her main goal was to make him as comfortable as possible at all times and to give him all the information he needed to feel safe. 


All of these books were published this year, which I kind of didn't think about until I realized this. I like that they're all current. A strong contender for me this year was the book, Our Italian Summer by Jennifer Probst.



This was a story all about complicated family issues and the drama that ensues. In this, the three generations of women spend the greatest summer of their lives in a place that had special meaning to the matriarch of the family. They never expected to find all that they found over the course of the weeks spent in Italy, but it was a trip that opened their eyes and changed their lives forever. 


I also loved that I could literally see the landscape of a beautiful country in my mind's eye as I read the pages of this book.


Those are my recommendations for you! Do you enjoy these reading recaps, or is there something else you'd prefer that's bookish in its place? I'd love to hear your feedback. I'm off to enjoy my Saturday, friends. Love to all! 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer. Thanks for the reviews and reading ideas! I haven't read any of these books, but I will be looking for them! Happy New Year! See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always glad to share book recs, Deb! I hope you like these as much as I did. I tried not to give away too much of the information about each book. Happy New Year, and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read Jojo's book (and enjoyed it so much). I'll definitely be adding these other ones to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing people's reading wrap up posts. I am ALL about the books, which is why I ended up starting a book blog a few years back. Now I have a place to talk about them all, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I hope you can say that you've had a great week; I have, and I'll share about it throughout this post. I&...