Tuesday, June 6, 2023

routines

 


Happy Tuesday, friends! I was inspired to write this blog post because of this picture I took yesterday. I spent the day working on a writing project and after I wrapped it up for the day and plugged my laptop in again so that it could charge, I decided to come and sit down to finish the book I was reading. It was perfect timing, because a thunderstorm was brewing! I love a summer thunderstorm, do you? 


I decided to settle in for a few minutes to read and give my back a rest from sitting at a table working on my laptop all day. It felt good to sit in my comfy chair and to put my feet up! I also drank water, since I neglected to do that for most of the day. It's funny how when I'm on a deadline, I have these little routines. I usually won't start my work until the house is quiet and after I've gotten dressed for my day. Even if I stay home, I like to be dressed and to wear a little bit of makeup to make myself feel more presentable. I play background music for our dogs in the living room, but I like it quiet when I work in the kitchen. Though I do get up often for the dogs while I'm working, I don't drink very much in that time. I don't know why, except for that I just forget? 


I'd dedicated the day to writing because we need to be finished by June 14 so that I can begin the editing process. I finished my first portion back in January, but then I stopped completely because of my full time job. There were definitely days here and there that I could have written, but I do find that I procrastinate easily. I can usually dedicate a certain day for something and get it done, though. I suppose that means that I work well under pressure, though I'd never say that about myself. Anyway, this is how I roll these days, I suppose. I am going to start building my way up to writing at certain times on certain days of the week. One of my favorite authors suggests doing this—setting goals easy enough to accomplish. I like the thought of that, and I'm working on a few more writing projects, so a little diligence would go a long way. 


I say all of this to share part of my thought process for settling in for a project. Do you have little routines that you follow for such things? Even if it's for housework, I'd love to hear how you go about getting in the mindset to accomplish something. Do you listen to music, or to a podcast while you work? Do you prefer quiet? My mood changes in that, I've noticed, and it depends on what I'm working on. I definitely lean toward listening to music, though. It's your turn to share! I always love hearing from you. Don't forget about tomorrow's Currently link party! I'd love for you to join us. Also, I am playing around with my blog design again and changed it up last night. Do you have thoughts on this? Let me know if anything is too small or light, and I'll try to accommodate you. Thanks for reading my blog, friends! Love to all. 💚

12 comments:

  1. Oh I love this new design! So cheerful :) What are the topics for tomorrow's Currently linkup? Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Holly! I liked it too. The topics are loving, doing, trying, seeing, and reading. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,
    I love the new blog style, but the print is pretty small on this end. I do love that you have more features!

    I definitely have routines, but they vary depending on whether I'm staying home that day or have to go out. When I'm at home for the day, I have coffee while reading blogs in the morning. Then I get ready for the day, which consists of hair and make up every day. I just feel my best when I am ready for seeing people, even if I don't. I do quick cleaning in the morning and then I've been doing about 15 minutes of stretching or exercising with a Youtube video. After that I like to get a 2nd cup of coffee and do my bible study. I find that I can concentrate better if I've used up a bunch of my morning energy before sitting down to read. Then I start on my never-ending to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the new design. The writing is a little small for my old eyes but I can still read it ;). I don't like to have any noise in the background if I'm doing anything that requires thinking. But if I'm doing something mindless like chopping veggies or doing dishes, then I like to use that time to listen to a podcast or music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, thank you for the feedback! I thought the same thing as I read it this morning. I adjusted it to make the font larger. I am very similar to you in the way of routines- I do feel so much better being dressed to see someone, and I read blogs while I drink coffee and "wake up". I can't ever jump right into my quiet time, and tend to save that until after everyone leaves. Things get hectic here each morning from 8 until around 8:30, so once the house is quiet again, I sit down to start my devotional and Bible reading.

    Thanks again for letting me know your thoughts! I hope you have the best day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new blog design it's so happy and colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria, thank you for the feedback! I adjusted the font to make it larger. It's much better now! I could read it, but I also thought it was small. I left it, because my eyes are terrible, so I wondered if it was just me. I totally get needing quiet while you have to think- I can't have anything with words playing in the background if I'm concentrating. You should see all of my playlists- I have so many for different times during the day. I hope you have a great day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Ruth! I was ready to change it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been enjoying a lot of reading lately too. Hoping when I get my new glasses, I'll enjoy it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cathy, I feel so fortunate to be able to do that! I know you'll enjoy those new glasses. They make all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do better with a routine...even if it's a summer routine. I find that I'm more productive during the school year because I can't really waste time...where in the summer, sometimes I push things off to the next day when maybe I shouldn't. There are many days in the summer that I stay in my workout clothes or don't wear makeup. That being said, I always do my skincare routine, make my bed, try to get a workout in, etc. Those routines are helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, I totally understand how that could easily happen. I also do better in an environment in which there is a routine. I'm so structured...sometimes to my own detriment. I could be more go with the flow and easy going...I try to remember to let go of all my expectations sometimes and just enjoy living it up a little.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites! 5.3.2024

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...