Monday, January 9, 2023

weekending/Hello Monday/Not Just a Mom link parties (1.9.23.)


Happy Monday, friends! I'm linking up with Holly and Sarah for Hello Monday, and Jen and some other ladies for the Not Just a Mom link parties. Before I start, and for this month's topic of "introductions" on the NJAM link up, I'm sharing a picture and the caption I posted on Instagram and Facebook Friday night. 



Major life update: I am the newest teaching assistant at one of our local elementary schools! I have so much to say that I can't even begin to do that here and won't try, but basically, the Lord Himself created the perfect job for me that was totally unexpected and dropped it right into my lap. I applied a week ago, the principal emailed me on Monday, I interviewed yesterday and was offered the job this morning! It's been a whirlwind, but I'm so thankful how the Lord worked in my heart, through the words of my friend Kim, and the prayers of other family members and friends. In the words of my current fav worship song Sovereign by Chris Tomlin, all my life, from beginning to end, is in the hands of my Almighty God. ❤️ I can't wait to start my new (full time) job!


I just copied and pasted what I shared on those social media sites to my blog, because I don't have additional information yet. I'm writing this on Sunday morning, so with the timing of when all of this went on during my day Friday, the school offices had closed. I received a congratulatory email from the school district, with the promise of an email to come early this week. So, I've been hired, but I don't know when I'll start yet, though I sort of assume it'll be within the next week, maybe two. I'll keep you posted, but I can't even BEGIN to tell you how excited I am about this fun, new opportunity! I still have so many words to say about it all, but I'll save them for a later day. Read what the actual lyrics to my current favorite worship song say:


In your everlasting arms

All the pieces of my life

From beginning to the end

I can trust you.



The song is Sovereign, by Chris Tomlin. There are so many things that happened along the way in this happening, including the fact that I was not looking for a job other than the one I have right this moment. I actually applied for a different position, but this is the one that was meant for me. 


Now, about my weekend, and on a much lighter note...



Have you watched this yet?! Todd and I watched it Thursday night per the recommendation of our oldest son, and it was excellent. There are so many good people in this movie!




This is my favorite way to start a morning at home. Since I've been working part time in August, my mornings are so different, and they're about to become even more so. That being said, I was able to stay pretty caught up with my Bible reading in 2022 from August until December 31st, and finished reading the Bible in chronological order again, but I wanted to do something totally different in 2023. Instead of reading through the whole Bible, I'm just reading through portions of it, starting with the book of Psalm and slowly working my way through. I'm also doing a daily devotional, and I'm memorizing Scripture. My first verse to memorize this year was Psalm 98:1, which says, "Oh sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things! His right hand and his strong arm have worked salvation for him." 





My second verse to memorize in 2023 is Jeremiah 33:3, which says, "Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known." I subscribed one time to a way of studying God's word through a website called The James Method. If you're interested in learning more about this, click on that link and read about it for yourself. I've been so pleased that I paid one time for a membership...it was around $10, and I receive all kinds of tools and resources to help me study. I am a lifelong student of God's word! 




I loved having Dad at our house on Friday! It was so good to see him in his spot on the couch, and I love this picture of him looking at Jonah. Jonah was showing Dad something on his phone and I couldn't help but to take this picture on the down low. Dad and I left here to go put gas in my car shortly after this, I took him home, then I went to Mom's for dinner. Our food was delicious! Todd worked that night, so when I got home, I watched a show and went to bed to read. I was up early on Saturday morning, and per my weekly tradition, I watched this movie.


It's been ages since I've seen this—I probably haven't seen it since it was in the theaters! That was back when I paid money to go see movies, which I rarely do these days. I prefer to watch them from the comfort of our home. I saw this image below as I watched and loved it and wanted to share it with you as well. 




Isn't that great? And true? I used to spend so much time worrying about other people, what they did, and what they thought. It was exhausting! I finally realized, that they only person I need to worry about is myself. I can work on myself and nobody else, not even our sons. They're all adults, we have raised them, and did our best to teach them, but I no longer worry and fret over them. They're adults, and they have the freedom to make their own choices. I pray for them, I encourage them, I offer my thoughts and advice when they ask for it, but they do what they want. If they're dumb about something, they pay the price for their mistake (and there have been a few, trust me), and they learn a lesson the hard way. Of course I love them and don't want them to do dumb things, but when they do, I trust God that there is a lesson for them learn in the process. For Christians, this is called the sanctification process. It's a daily process that shapes and molds us into who we someday become. 




This is the book I'm using to help me along in reading and studying the book of Psalms. It's a great resource! A friend from church gave this to me back in 2020. 



I went out on Saturday with my sisters. We never get to do that, and since one was here in town and Mom didn't feel well, it was just us. We had so much fun! We went to a beauty supply place, where I bought two new hair clips and a silk scrunchy, then we went to lunch at a place that was new to us all—Moondance Grill.




Look at my amazing lunch! I had lettuce wraps. It was really good, there was just so much food that I couldn't eat it all. We did a few more things after lunch, then I came home around two thirty. Todd and I went out for Vietnamese again Saturday night, to a place that was a bit more our speed, and had a delicious dinner. He had the pho again, but I had a beef vermicelli bowl. 





It's warm spicy beef, rice noodles, carrots, and some other veggies that is served with a side of dressing to pour over it all. I doctored it up with soy sauce and sriracha, but I ate more than half of what they brought out. It was a LOT of food! We got frozen yogurt afterward—both of us had dark chocolate—then we came home and watched a movie. It was the perfect date night.



We were both at church early on Sunday, then home after for lunch. Drew came over for a few minutes for something quick, then Todd went to work, I started watching Friday Night Lights again on Netflix, then I went to Mom's for dinner. I was back home before eight, and watched tv, and worked on blog posts for the rest of this week. Speaking of that, when my new job starts, I'm not sure how often I'll be posting. I might cut back on some of the posting until I get the hang of working full time, but I will keep the link parties going and will be here at least two or three times a week, hopefully. I'll have to see how it all goes, but you'll know by the frequency you see when the time comes. 



(Sunday outfit check, as always.)


How was your weekend? I'd love to hear from you! Thanks for reading my blog, friends! I'll see you back here tomorrow. Love to all! 





29 comments:

  1. Please tell us all the details from your first week! It will be fun to wear all of your outfits in your newly cleaned out closet. You will definitely need your comfy shoes. I wonder if they have a dress code? Elementary schools are usually very casual. Your food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I can only imagine the joy you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will, Amy! I'm working at my old job this week, though, and going in to the HR office in between for what they call the onboarding process. I do have some comfy shoes, but I think I may buy one or two more pairs. I know I love that particular brand that I always wear, the leopard print Hey Dudes. That is one of my questions for them, about the dress code. When I worked in an elementary school here in town when the boys were little, we could never wear jeans unless it was a special occasion. I don't know what it's like now, but I'll ask them at HR.

    Thanks! It was, and it was all healthy! The worst thing we got was the frozen yogurt, but even that isn't too bad. I hope you have a great day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations again! Sounds exciting for you :) And I appreciate you always sharing the shows you watch! I'm always on the lookout for recommendations.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! CONGRATULATIONS! I knew it and I am SO HAPPY for you Jennifer! You will rock this- you are going to be so happy- I just know it- can't wait to read all about it XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new job! I am a 1st grade teacher and I have a full time aid in my class and trust me when I say that your days will NEVER be boring!!! It's the best job EVER!
    Love following along with your blog and learning more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Debbie! I am glad to share what I watch, because I am also always on the lookout for things that are good and also clean. I do watch things that aren't as clean, but that's my favorite type of show or movie. Happy day to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Holly! I appreciate that encouragement. I can't wait to start!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Suzanne! I really looking forward to starting and being amused by cute kiddos. I miss having them in my life, so I am also looking forward to being around them again.

    Thank you for that, and for stopping by to leave some comment love! I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your new job! God is GREAT! I've followed your blog for some time but haven't taken the time to post a comment before. God led me to a podcast just this weekend that talked about how small acts of kindness improves your mental health, and that of the person you're being kind to. So I am taking the time to develop a habit to be more intentional with small acts of kindness every day. So I wanted to take a momement to let you know I enjoy your blog, and find your sharing of your faith inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you had the perfect weekend. Your food looks good and so do your outfits. Congrats on your new job and looking forward to hearing all about it when start working. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the job! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the teaching assistant position!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay!! Congrats on the new job. That's wonderful news. I really enjoyed all 3 movies that you watched this week; I figured I'd like the Glass Onion since I really liked the first (and totally unrelated movie) Knives Out too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm excited for you and the new job! We watched The Glass Onion during the holidays and liked it. I really like that quote you shared! Just curious, where is your go to yogurt place? Mine is Menchie's, but frozen yogurt is a favorite of mine for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Cathy! That food was amazing. All of it! I can't wait to share more about my new job! I hope your day was great, my friend. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Joanne! I also loved that Knives Out movie. I love a good murder mystery, whether movie or book. These movies really remind me of either the Clue game or an Agatha Christie book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much, Marilyn! I love that quote too. It's so true! Believe it or not, we have ZERO froyo places here in Collierville. We ate dinner at Green Bamboo restaurant in Cordova, so we went down the road to Menchies. If I'm really craving some, I will go to Gracie Bleu's in the Forrest Hill area. It's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Go you! Congrats on the new job.
    I haven't seen Glass Onion yet but it's on my to watch list. Everyone is raving about it.
    It sounds like you had a great lunch out, the food looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Kim! I appreciate your sweet words and that you stopped by to leave a comment. My food all weekend was DELICIOUS! Hopefully you'll get to watch Glass Onion soon- let me know what you think of it after you watch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. CONGRATULATIONS on the new position!!! That's so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on your new job - that is super exciting!! I hope sometime this year I'll be able to make that kind of announcement. I need something to keep me busy during the day. Wonderful to connect with you in yet another link-up, and to not be the only mom to grown kids participating! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats! They are so lucky to have you. Your lettuce wraps look so good. We all loved the Top Gun movie. Sweet pic of your dad and son. Thanks for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks, Jen!

    It was so good! Both the wrap and the movie. I saw it in the theater, but it was just as good here at home with our lights off and surround sound. Thanks for hosting the link party!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on the new job, this is so exciting!!! As a teacher I can tell you, those teachers are going to be SO HAPPY to have you! I can't wait to check back in and see how it's going.

    Thanks for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks, Lauren! I'll be updating more as I get closer to starting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites, 5.17.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...