Tuesday, January 10, 2023

tips on Tuesday- hair, skin, & being healthier (1.10.23)


Happy Tuesday, friends! I thought I'd share a few tips on this beautiful Tuesday. You can already guess by the title as to what I'll be writing about today, but I'll share them again anyway—I'll be sharing about hair products, skin care lotions and oils that I love, and what I've been doing to be a healthier version of myself. If you see a link, I've included one that will direct you to Amazon so that you can check things out for yourself. 


I'll start with hair. Most of us have dry everything in the colder months of the year, whether it's our hair or skin. Because my hair is curly and long, I can get away with washing it every three showers. I will get it wet and use conditioner, but I only do that to help with the tangling. 


Did you know that really hot water can cause damage to your hair? I didn't know that and was told that by a hair stylist. Since I learned that, I don't use hot water to rinse my hair, I just use warm or cool water depending on the weather. I don't use expensive products on my hair, because I really believe that for every expensive brand of something, there's a dupe that's equally as good. So, I only use products that can be bought at Target or Walgreens. I use Tresemme mousse for my hair, and lately I've started using a curl cream—the Marc Anthony brand. Did you know that you don't have to buy detangling spray? All it is is about 1/3 parts conditioner to 2/3 part water, so I make my own, then I use a Wet Brush that looks like an old fashioned vent brush. Speaking of conditioner, my shampoo and conditioner are both from Amazon. Here's a link for the conditioner that I love. 


I think anyone can achieve some wave by washing their hair at night and going to bed while it's wet. This can be achieved by sleeping in braids, or you could make a loose top knot bun at the top of it after you put something in it to help give it some curl. You could use a beach spray type product like this one in the morning, and scrunch it after you've taken it down with your head flipped over as you get dressed in the morning. You could also try using a blow dryer with a diffuser, or even a beach wave curing iron. I feel like anyone can have wavy hair, but it's easier to do if your hair is dirty, so if it feels to clean, you  could try using dry shampoo to give it some texture. I do that sometimes even now, because my hair always gets frizzy when it feels too clean. These kinds of things would be great to try on your second or third day hair.


I love skin care products, but this is also something I don't spend a lot of money on. I've told you before that I use coconut oil to remove my makeup at night. I melt it in my hands, since it's a solid, and rub it all over my face and let it melt my makeup off. Any that is left on my hands, I rub all over my arms and elbows. I let it sit for a few minutes, then I wipe it off with a washcloth, or I let it "melt" as I take a shower. That's actually my favorite thing to do. I use some of the Thayer's witch hazel toner to remove any excess makeup after removing it with coconut oil. There is always some left over, so that's an important step. After all of that and when my face has air dried, I moisturize with Cerave. I buy this at Target or Walmart. I moisturize before bed and again the next morning before I put my makeup on. 


I know that this isn't technically a skin care product, but it has to do with what I want to say about your lips, which is to keep them moisturized. This is my favorite thing to use, or this same brand that is called Total Hydration. Even the best of lipstick brands can't cover up dry, cracked lips. Did you ever watch my lipstick tutorial video that I made at the end of 2022? You can find it here


Another thing that is important to do is to drink plenty of water. Drinking water is my cure for most ailments. If your head hurts, you're probably dehydrated. I guarantee you that you probably don't drink enough water. I don't either, and it's all I drink all day long, every day. This is why you always see me carrying my water bottle with the rope handle. This is before I started covering it with stickers, of which I just ordered more. Apparently, I spent too many years with teenagers, because I act like I'm one. 🤣 



Two more things having to do with skin care, and the first is that I am an oily girl. I add drops of oil to my makeup in the morning (pictured right below), I have added them to my moisturizer, and I use the oils in the second picture on my pillow at night if my stomach or head hurts. I love these from Amazon











I mentioned this cuticle oil last week, also from Amazon, that I use for my hands and feet. 




I've been talking about how I've changed my eating habits recently, because my husband has inspired me. He has lost over 65 pounds, and looks great. He eats low sugar, low calorie, and low carbs. Think lots of protein and eating every two or three hours. 


Though that is great for him, it does not work for me. So, I drink a protein drink for breakfast, I'll eat something snack-like for lunch (maybe some turkey slices from the deli, a little bit of cheese, some fruit and tortilla chips with guacamole or hummus), and a dinner with meat and vegetables or a starchy food, like a baked potato. I am also eating gluten free, since it's a well known cause for inflammation in the body. In cutting that out, I've not had aches and pains. If I need a snack, and I often do, I'll eat a handful of walnuts, almonds, or a protein bar


I do not drink my calories, I drink water or zero sugar drinks, and I've even perfected my coffee by using a tiny amount of raw honey, some cinnamon, and zero sugar refrigerated creamer. Additionally, we take vitamins and supplements. Each day we all take vitamin d3, vitamin c, I take calcium, we all take zinc, and Todd and I take turmeric, which is a natural anti-inflammatory. I'm refusing to step on a scale, so I don't know how much weight I've lost, but that isn't the point. The point is that I feel great, my clothes are getting big on me, especially my jeans, and I feel like everything looks better on me, including my hair and skin. I think it all has to do with eating healthier and in taking vitamins and supplements. I'm also moving more. I go upstairs more times during the day, I am getting up and walking more, whether outside or on our treadmill, and I'm not sitting for long periods of time. 


There isn't really anything here that you don't know or that's life changing, but I've just learned that some of these things work great for me. A lot of you are sweet to compliment me, and I appreciate your kind words. I love sharing what works for me right now, as far as hair, skin, and being healthier. Speaking of what works for me, you should come back tomorrow when I share about what is working for me so far this month, which is a new blog series I'm doing this year that I titled "words to live by". I hope this was helpful to someone today...I know I've been on the receiving end of that and it's nice to pass it along. Thanks for reading my blog, friends! Love to all. 





*I am an Amazon affiliate and make a small percentage of any purchase you make through using a link that I share. Thanks for that! 

14 comments:

  1. Love this! I need to make my own detangling spray - thank you for the instructions. I agree about the hair washing tips and the super hot water. I am trying to wash my hair less this winter.
    I am so glad you feel better! It's amazing how quickly it happens - like in a matter of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to get 10000 steps in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Amy! I don't remember where I read the instructions for detangling spray, but I just kept my last spray bottle of what I had and used it to refill it. I just made some more last night! I feel like it actually works better than what you buy. I use hot water to mix mine, because as you shake it really well, it cools down.

    It's AMAZING how fast I started feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, that's awesome! I used to do that, but since I don't wear any type of smart watch, I have no way of knowing. I'm very active now, though, and am always up doing things like cleaning, folding clothes (I make it an exercise by bending and stretching really high), and doing things outside- blowing leaves, helping with raking, etc. Every little bit of movement helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you Jennifer for your hard work! I am so glad it is paying off with you feeling better in so many ways. I definitely need to increase my water intake. I agree with you on beauty products, there is usually a great dupe out there at a better cost! I plan on doing a beauty post next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Marilyn! The Lord is always faithful to help me through when I am successful at mere attempts. I couldn't do it without Him! I'll look forward to reading about that next week! I think all of us need to drink more water...like I said here in this post, even I don't drink enough some days. Yesterday was one of those days. Have a great day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your tips, Jennifer, and am glad that you've found some great things that work for you. It's also great that you're feeling better. Congrats on moving more. Exercise is one area that I'm pretty consistently good at doing but sometimes I don't prioritize it and usually end up regretting. I used to weigh myself way more than I do now. I feel like a weight is lifted, no pun intended, when I don't weigh myself often. I, too, rely on how my clothes are fitting to know when I am making progress (or regressing...). I hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a beautiful mane of hair!! After the birth of my second daughter all of my hair fell out and it has been thin and fine since. Being pregnant can be so hard on a mommy.
    Glad to see your cuticle oil recommendation. My cuticles are so dry. And my fingertips actually crack when my hands have been abused with cleaning products and washing dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Maria! I totally see how you regret not prioritizing time to do that. I am going to start making more time for it as well, like today after I came home from work. I did a ton of raking leaves! It felt great to be using muscles and it's a good kind of sore that I feel now. I may feel differently tomorrow morning. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Leslie! It's good to hear from you! You are so right about how pregnancy is hard on our bodies. It's crazy how so much changes when we have children!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post....and such a good photo of you (there at the end). You look so pretty - and healthy! What you are doing is working:) Which lipstick are you wearing in that last picture?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Jennifer! I'm not sure the exact color, but it's part of a set I ordered on Amazon. The brand is Qibest, and it came with about seven colors. This was the only pink option in the lot, but I love it too. I usually mix and match the colors to create different ones. You should check it out! The set was very inexpensive and it's long wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Somehow I missed this post! Such great information and your skin looks amazing! And great tips about your hair. I've heard the hot water info before, and have often rinsed my hair with cooler water. Curly hair is so dry to begin with and I've found it a big challenge to find good products that work the way I want them to. I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars on hair products.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Debbie! You are so right. I feel the same way and don't want to spend that money on hair products. There are great ones available that are healthier for hair and also inexpensive. I hope you've enjoyed your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites, 5.17.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...