Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Wednesday encouragement

 


Happy Wednesday, friends! I'm writing this on Tuesday night—on a big night, as we all wait to find out how the election turned out. I always feel my heart becoming heavy on nights like this and thought I'd share a little bit of encouragement.  


First, I always love the reminder that no matter who sits behind the desk of the Oval Office or anyone in any sort of an authoritative position, Jesus is King. Proverbs 21:1 is a verse that I need to remember on occasion. I always figure if I need the reminder, someone could probably use it as well. 



Nothing ever catches the Lord by surprise, which is something I always find comforting. Apparently I need to be comforted quite often, because I always love coming across the stories in the Bible when they were going through really difficult times and God was always gracious and faithful. I love the stories of when the people knew they were about to be carried off into captivity, but God told them to go there and to live—to settle down, to plant fields, to start their families. He wanted them to live their lives, in spite of their harsh conditions. That sort of reminds me of what we're going through right now in the tough economy that is our new normal. We have hope that things will change eventually, but we don't really know what the future holds. All we can do is to continue living and to do our best.


I was praying about this yesterday, and for the state of our nation. No matter which political party you claim, things are hard for everyone and most of us would agree that we're living in a recession. It's hard for young people to be out on their own, so I think more and more families are living together again. We know of one family that has three kids, one of which is married with a young child of their own. For our own sons, we've told them repeatedly that we're in no hurry for them to get out. We know times are hard for everyone right now and it's not like they're mooching off of us. They eat the food we buy, but half the time they go out and buy their own food for dinner. We're all just doing our best. 


No matter what we face, though, God is faithful. The thing about all the history I've read in the Bible is that no matter what, He never left them on their own. The nation of Israel went through more than one time of captivity, but even while they were in a foreign land, God was so good to them. He provided for them continually, He gave them favor with kings and with people and He never once just forgot about them. He was good to them, He was faithful and always there, just like He is right now for me and for you. I don't know about you, but that wants me to be faithful to Him. I don't want to forget all that He has done in my life and for us in this amazing country that we're so fortunate to live in. He is the one who is ultimately in control, even if the ones in place as our leaders think differently. No matter what we face, it's important for us to stand firm in our faith. 


I keep reading those words in the Bible study I'm doing right now and I think they're relevant for all of us today. We need to remember to keep the faith, to be diligent about our faith and to stand firm as we remember Who we belong to. God has got all of us in the palm of His hand and He's got the entire world in His hand as well. Things may get harder or they may get easier for a time, but He is just wrapping it all up as He prepares to come back for us someday. A beloved preacher that used to lead a church here in Memphis used to say that the world is getting gloriously dark, and I believe that to be true today. 


In light of that, it's a good time to evaluate your life and relationship with Jesus. Do you know Him? Are you sure? What makes you certain? I think most people think they're Christians because they're good people, but unless you've confessed that you're a sinner in need of a Savior, that is not the case. The Bible talks about how there will come a time when Jesus will tell some people to depart from Him—that He never knew them (Matthew 7:21-23). It's important to consider and for those of us who have the assurance of your salvation, it's important to know why we believe the way we do. I was so convicted of this while doing my Bible study homework this week! We need to be able to give an explanation as to why we believe the way we do, without using the words "I feel like". We need to have a grasp on this and we need to be prepared at all times to give an answer to someone asking, but when answering, we must do so with gentleness and with respect. 


This is just something to think on, as we approach what I believe we're seeing as the last days. Not even Jesus knows when He will return, but I have to believe we're getting closer and closer. Would you believe we've been in "the last days" since Jesus ascended into Heaven? They probably thought the same thing all those years ago, but I really do believe this is where we are today. It can seem scary, and though I've had times when I thought that myself, I no longer think that now. I know Who I belong to and therefore know that I will be taken care of in the end. You can have that same assurance, my friend. If you ever want to talk more about this, feel free to reach out! My personal email address is allboys@gmail.com if you ever want to talk. 


Thanks for reading, friends. Love to all. 

4 comments:

  1. Wise and encouraging words! One reason that I think politics matter is that Christianity has been the biggest instrument for social change that has alleviated the mistreatment of others. From women's roles changing predominantly to fighting to eradicate slavery to charities whose mission it is to provide hospitals and education to the less fortunate, so much as good has been done by Christians. We are seeing secular, evil forces relentlessly pursue horrifying acts of violence against the most vulnerable in our society. I don't think God wants us to sit back passively. At the same time, everything that you said is very important to remember and keep in mind as will. Thank God- I don't mean that flippantly, God will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maria! I am with you and agree that politics DEFINITELY matter. We take our civic duty very seriously and just yesterday we had two first time voters in our home! The lady at the poll tried to get them both to take pictures for me, but they wouldn't. Insert the eye roll emoji here. I didn't mean to sound flippant about this topic either- so maybe I need to edit part of this. All I meant was to encourage anyone who is like me and who can tend to be someone who worries about such things. For my own sanity, I can't place too much stock into who holds what office or I'd be a mess of worry and stress 24/7.

    So much good has come out of Christians voting! I agree wholeheartedly. The state of our nation is terrible right now, though and I do hope the tally of votes leans in favor of change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an encouraging post today! Thank you for sharing...and for challenging us. It can be (too) easy to live "under the circumstances" and to be discouraged, etc. So glad God is faithful...and aware of all that is happening today. In our lives, our nation, and in this world. And so glad to know - for certain - that I am His child. I must let that truth impact and affect everything I do and how I feel each day! Thank you for your encouragement today over at my blog. Your friendship is a blessing!! Hugs to you today -

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the encouragement you shared here. Elections and political issues can always stir up lots of emotions in people, so this was great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Share Your Shelf!

  Happy Thursday and bonus post day, friends! I'm joining up with Joanne , Tanya , and Marilyn to talk about the great books I read thi...