Tuesday, May 31, 2022

the books I read in May

 


Happy Tuesday, friends! How was your weekend? I was actually here blogging yesterday, but I was one of the few. I mention that to tell you that I shared a post and if you missed it, I'd love for you to check it out! I titled it Hello Memorial Day, instead of the usual Hello Monday.


It's my favorite day of the month, which means I am talking about all things books! I'm sharing about the books I read in May, and lots of the ones on my summer reading list. I'll dive right in with the five books I read this month. Click on the picture and you can re-directed to Amazon to check out each book.


First up was a new author for me! The Wife Upstairs by Freida McFadden was amazing and so creepy in all of the best ways.



I heard about this book from another author that I love, Pamela Kelley. I'm in her Facebook book club and she's always giving great book recs there. I love when authors do this! This author will be an automatic read for me from now on. It hit all the high points, but it was actually clean, which is rare for a "psychological thriller". 


This book is about a girl who met a guy whose wife is crippled and paralyzed. The wife needs a friend and Sylvia (the young girl) needs a job. She agrees to the job, even though it would involve her moving way out of the way and even though she is slightly weirded out by the situation. Sylvia and Victoria seem to hit it off, as best they are able and they find a way to communicate. Victoria points Sylvia to her journal and when Victoria starts to read it, she is shocked to find out all that is written on the pages. I'll say one more thing about this book and that is that you will NOT see the end coming. You should read this book! I can't recommend it enough. Also, this book is FREE right now with Kindle Unlimited.


Next up was Riverbend Gap by Denise Hunter.



When Katelyn's car veered of an Appalachian mountain road, she thought she was a goner...until the local sheriff deputy came to her rescue. She and Cooper had an immediate connection, but her only problem was that she was already dating someone...who turns out to be Cooper's brother. I always hesitate to share too much of the story line, so I'll leave you to find out the rest. I borrowed this book with the Libby library app. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and plan on reading the next book in the series.


My third book was Every Summer After by Carley Fortune.



Apparently I pre-ordered this book and have no recollection of it, but it showed up on my Kindle the day it released and I'm glad it did! This was Carley's debut book and she hit it out of the park. I will say, it was a bit rated R in places, so I skimmed some, but the story was fascinating and drew me in from the first page. 


Persephone didn't think she'd ever go back to the mountain lake town she'd spent six summers of her childhood, but one phone call changed that plan and she finds herself heading back home to say goodbye to the matriarch of the family next door. Percy and Sam were friends from the first summer that she and her family spent at the lake and it lasted for six wonderful summers, until they grew apart and lost touch. Told over six summers and one weekend, this story is a sweeping story of love, loss, and the people and choices that mark us forever. Please do yourself a favor and read this book! I could not put it down.


My fourth book was Everything After by Jill Santopolo. 



I have to start by saying that I love this author! I loved this book and the others by her that I've read. This one did not disappoint.


Two loves. To choices. One chance to follow her dreams. Emily has come a long way since she lost her two passions fifteen years ago: music and Rob. She's a psychologist at NYU who helps troubled college students like she once was. Together with her caring husband, Ezra, she now has a beautiful life. They're happy and hoping to start a family, but when a tragic event in her present too closely echoes a tragedy from her past, her life is upturned. Then she hears a song on the radio about the woman who got away and she recognizes his voice...could it really be him? And was the song really about her? As her past passions come roaring back into her life, she'll find herself asking, "Who is she meant to be? And who is she meant to love?"


Last but not least is Girls of Summer by Nancy Thayer.




Lisa Hudson feels more alive than she has in a very long time. After hiring carpenter Mack Whitney to do some home repairs for her, there's no denying the spark they immediately feel. Despite the fact that Lisa is ten years older than him and their twenty something kids who are on the island of Nantucket for the summer, she decides to try dating him even though she worries it'll only lead to heartbreak for her. But her kids have their own things going on and by the end of the summer when a storm threatens to shatter everything, everyone discovers that not everything is within their control. 


READ IT! It's the perfect beach read. As far as my summer reading list, here's a picture of the books I have planned for the coming weeks.




Your turn! What have you read and loved lately? I'd love to hear from you! I'm open to your books suggestions, so please share with me. Thanks for reading my blog, friends! Love to all. 

8 comments:

  1. All of these books sound really good and I want to read them all! I have heard of most of them. Thanks for the review. I have a suggestion for you- my blog friend Callie reviewed a book by an author named Victoria Holt. She wrote many books- I've only read two but they were good. The two I read were set in historical times but not too far back (like early 20th century- maybe very late 19th). The two I read are suspense/ mystery type- very clean and well written. I really liked one of hers titled The Time of the Hunter's Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a book by Denise Hunter a couple weeks ago. Haven't read it yet, but I need to finish another one first. I seldom buy books but I was given a gift card for Barnes and Nobles for my retirement and finally went and bought 2 books. The one above by her sounds really good so I placed a hold on it. Now I have to get busy reading so I'll be ready when it comes in. lol

    I really enjoy reading about what you are reading. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great reviews...and several that sound promising for me (me...the lame reader!?) But, I have to comment: Persephone. Huh!?! I was lost at first and then I just kept chuckling. Not sure I could get through that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book recommendations, Maria! I will look into those! If you read one of these, let me know what you think of it. I hope you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, let me know what you think of it, if you read the book! I hope you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer- you'll have to let me know if you try one or two. I'd love to hear your thoughts! Persephone is quite the name, right? Thankfully she went by Percy most of the book. I hope you had a good day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These do all sounds so good; though I did read Thayer's book last year. I always enjoy her books. Another cute book I read just last week that was set on Nantucket (and made me think of you for some reason) was If For Any Reason by Courtney Walsh. I'm anxious to read more by her as I had never heard of this author before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Joanne! I was able to borrow that on the Libby app!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Share 4 Somethings

  Happy Saturday, friends! Welcome to the April edition of S4S where we'll be talking about somethings we've  loved  or  disliked , ...