Wednesday, June 16, 2021

what I'm reading Wednesday

Happy Wednesday, friends! I thought I'd share some of the books I've been reading lately. 

This was a new author to me, one that I keep hearing about. When I found this book at my library, I decided to give it a try, but I didn't care for it that much. The story is about a girl and a guy that end up at the beach together over the summer and they try to help each other write their next novels by writing what each of the other writes. I don't know why I didn't love the storyline or the characters, but I was just wanting the book to be over by the time I actually finished. It was good enough to get me to keep reading, so if I had to rate it, I would give it ⭐⭐out of five.

I'm on a Denise Hunter kick right now and this book was so good! It's the first of the Bluebell Inn series, so I already bought the next three. This book is about siblings who lost their parents in a car wreck and made the decision to keep the inn they were renovating going by finishing the renovations and opening it over the summer. There is another story that took place in the sixties that is inside the main story, one which is equally as sweet. This book made me laugh and cry and I would rate it ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐.

(Thanks, Google, for your image.)

I love Emily Giffin! I always fly through her books and to my knowledge, I have read all of the books she's written. The Lies That Bind is about a girl who meets a guy in 2001 right after she broke up with her boyfriend. She asked the bartender if she could use their phone and as she goes to call the boyfriend she'd just broken up with, the guy next to her urges her not to call him. They start talking, one thing leads to another and they hit it off and start dating. Some time goes on and then 9/11 happens and she loses touch with him, assuming he was one of the ones who died as one who worked in one of the Twin Towers. She starts to find out more and more information about him after his death and it turns out he isn't who he said he was. I'll stop there, but most of that is what you learn on the book description. I would rate this as another ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐.

I didn't know when I bought this on sale for $3.99 that this is THE book to read for the summer. I have read two of her other books and thought I'd try this one. It did not disappoint! It takes place in the summer of 1983, so it was fun to read about trends that year, with clothing and decor and such. This is another book about siblings that was very complex. She talks about each sibling, their parents, and some of their friends who attend the party that one of the siblings is famous for each summer. You open the book and read that a fire is imminent. The whole book takes place in a day, with the exception of the chapters that talk about their parents and the end made me gasp out loud. It wasn't anything like I expected and it shocked me, which is why I'd also rate this one ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐.

And lastly, I'm reading Summer by the Tides, by Denise Hunter. I'm about a fourth of the way through and it is really good! I'll tell you more what I think about it when I write this same post with different books in a few weeks. I hope to finish this book above this today or tomorrow and then I can return it to the library before I go to the beach on Sunday. I plan on reading books on a Kindle while I'm gone so that I don't have to take actual (heavy) books. 

Thanks for reading my blog! Love to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! Looks like you've read some really great books. I enjoyed the Lies that Bind and most of Emily's books but haven't read anything by Denise Hunter. I'll have to check out some of her books. They sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have~ I had a great and successful trip to the library about three weeks ago! You'll have to check her out and let me know what you think. I have recently bought another book by her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...