Wednesday, August 28, 2019

all about my mom


Today is my beautiful mom's birthday!  I am so very thankful for her.  I thought I would share some of my favorite things about her, some serious and some fun. 

First off, I remember her always tells me when I was a young adult that I would never understand how much she loved me until I was a mom someday.  And then when my oldest son was born, it all made sense.  I remember telling her that, and that I finally got the depth with which she loved from. 

When anything in my life happens, whether big or small, important or menial, she is the first person I want to tell.  And that is usually exactly what happens.  I pick up the phone to call her all the time, but we don't talk every single day.  I like to call her when I'm on the way to somewhere, whether to work or when I'm going out with a friend.  If I'm not praying in my car, I'm either talking to my mom, or to my best friend. 

If I am in need of advice over anything, she is always the one I ask.  Sometimes I need to "talk things out" with someone, and don't really need a response always, but just knowing I can talk to her about it helps.  And she always contributes a lot to the conversation, giving the best advice about all the things. 

When I don't know what to make for dinner and I'm sitting in the Kroger parking lot, I call her and ask for dinner inspiration.  She NEVER lets me down!

When I don't know what I want, Mom does.  Every single time, it never fails.  One of my favorite stories about her happened when I had a hysterectomy several years ago.  I was in the hospital, fresh out of surgery and still too groggy to be able to communicate.  She saw me being a little restless in the hospital bed, and nobody knew what was wrong, not even Todd.  He and the nurses were trying to help, but like I said, I was still in that anesthesia fog.  Mom just very quickly and quietly reached down to my feet and uncovered them for me.  She knows I hate for my feet to feel like they're being constricted when the sheet is tucked in too tight.  She uncovered them for me and just rubbed my legs, and I smiled. 

She makes me laugh harder than just about anyone on this earth.  Just a few weeks ago, we had the funniest moment I think we've ever had together, and I still crack up when I think about it.  It's a long story, and you really needed to be there to experience the hilarity, but it involved us in the car, belted in, with a grasshopper the size of my hand in very close proximity to Mom's leg.  When we FINALLY made our way out of the car, I was doubled over, I was laughing so hard. 

We have all these little inside jokes, too, usually consisting of dumb things I've done while in her presence that we crack up over.  Laughter is the best medicine, y'all, and we share plenty of it while we're together. 

She and my sister Trish are my favorite shopping buddies.  During the week, Mom and I run mundane errands together, but I love to shop with the two of them on Saturdays.  I don't always get to do that, but when we do, we have the best time.  It's just the three of us here now, the other half of our family lives in Denver.  We treasure these moments. 

She always lets me drive her car.  I love driving it, because it reminds me so much of my old Suburban that I still miss.  Think of Driving Miss Daisy.  ;)  She doesn't NEED me to drive her, but she knows I love to drive, so she always lets me. 

Mom always gives the best advice on what is fashionable, which jewelry I should wear with something, how I should get my hair done and what to say to my friend who colors and cuts it for me. 

Mom is always my biggest cheerleader and champion, and when I sing at church, she is always so proud and makes a point to tell me that.  I think that is the sweetest thing ever!  I always appreciate and love encouragement, and she probably tells me this because she knows that I'm hard on myself, and that I'm my own worst critic. 

I could tell her I love her and that I'm thankful for her every single minute for the rest of my days, and it would never express how much I mean those two sentiments.  I love her so much, and I am so grateful to God for making her my mom.  If I am half the mom to my sons as she is to me, then I would consider that a win.  I know you'll read this at some point today, Mom, and when you do, know that I mean every word from the bottom of my heart.  I love you and pray you have the best day ever, and that y'all have a great week in Denver.  I've already prayed for you and Bill as you travel there, back, and for a fun and safe and healthy time while you're there. 

If you're still here, and you're not my mom, thank you for reading my blog!  Love to all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites, 4.26.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...