Wednesday, August 21, 2019

a dinner favorite in our house: a recipe and picture for inspiration

We are Costco members, and it's one of my favorite places to shop for the meats I use to cook with.  That being said, I don't go there most of the time to buy meat, but yesterday was one of those days when I needed to grocery shop, and I needed to make a Costco run, so I combined the two and will make it work for this week.  I may have to add in a trip to Kroger at some point, but for now, this is me, actively trying.

One of our favorite things to eat for dinner every so often is salmon.  I used to buy just one giant fillet and that was enough for us all to have plenty.  Then all these boys started turning into men, and that became not enough.  So instead of looking for one huge fillet, we started looking for two smaller fillets.  It is priced really reasonably there, and we have plenty, usually even a lot leftover.


The freezer fillets that are small in size and individual do not compare with these at Costco, and I feel that it is much more fresh.  I usually buy it and make it that same night.  I always put it with roasted potatoes, and this time I made asparagus, though I've also paired it with broccoli.  This is all extremely easy!  I thought I'd share it with you, in case you're in need of some dinner inspiration.  I am always needing that myself.

Ingredients needed are:
salmon
olive oil
salt, pepper
dill weed
lemons

potatoes cut in cubes all the same size (washed first)
olive oil
salt, pepper
Tony Chachere's creole seasoning

asparagus
olive oil
salt, pepper

I place the whole thing (or two on one big pan) on a baking sheet, drizzle it with olive oil, and sprinkle it with salt, pepper and dill weed.  I roll around (under the palm of my hand) some lemons on the counter top so that the juice will be able to be squeezed more easily, then I cut them in half and squeeze out all the juice.  Sometimes I leave the lemons on the pan to let more of the flavor absorb into the salmon.

I roast it in the oven, at four hundred degrees until the whole thing is light pink in color.  Even for two huge fish last night, this only took twenty minutes.  You can test whether or not it's done with a fork, but when it starts to flake, pull it out, or it can become rubbery.  Let it rest for at least five minutes, then slice and enjoy.

For these potatoes that you see, they're a variety of small roasting potatoes.  Cut them in cubes that are all the same size, toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning (about one tablespoon).  Roast in a four hundred degree over for one hour.   These are so good dipped in homemade ranch dressing!  That is also very easy.

Ingredients needed for the ranch dressing:
mayonnaise
sour cream
salt, pepper
worcestershire sauce
taco seasoning 
milk

For the ranch, mix together one cup of mayonnaise, and one cup of sour cream.  Add in about six dashes of the worcestershire sauce, one package of taco seasoning, and sprinkle in some salt and pepper.  With a whisk, and stirring constantly, very slowly drizzle in some milk until you get it to the consistency you like.  We like ours about medium...not too thick, but not so thin it'll make a mess every time you dip.

For the asparagus, just cut off all the bottoms, place it all on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Roast it in the same oven as the salmon, on the bottom rack, for twenty minutes.

Let me know what you think, if you make this!  You can substitute the asparagus with broccoli, done the exact same way.  On the potatoes, you don't even half to turn them over.  Once I put mine in the oven, I leave them.  If you like them more crispy, you can add time to the roasting in increments of ten minutes.  Because of how small I cut them, an hour was enough for these last night.

Thanks for reading!  Love to all.

No comments:

Good Friday Favorites, 3.29.2024.

  Happy Good Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week...