Friday, June 14, 2019

Friday Favorites


Happy Friday, friends! 

I'm linking up with Andrea from Momfessionals, and her friends Erika and Narci, for this blog post. 

I know I did a similar post yesterday, but because I like link ups, I am still participating in this one today, and it won't be all the same stuff. 

First up on the list of favorites for the week are these cooler temps we've had all week.  This morning when I let the dogs out, it was fifty nine degrees outside! 


Unfortunately, today is the last day for this.  Tomorrow, it's back to hot and humid, per usual in these parts.

Speaking of these parts, will you help me pray for those in our city?  We have had an unusually large amount of crime lately, but on Wednesday night, there were terrible things that went on.  My prayer, like a friend posted on Facebook, is for the hearts of those here in the Memphis area.  The bottom line is that when things like this happen, like what took place on Wednesday night, their hearts are FAR from God.  I never post anything political or even somewhat controversial on this little safe slice of internet, and I am not starting that today.  But I will always ask you to pray for those in our city. 

I once heard Francis Chan talk about prayer and how people ask you to pray for things that may seem insignificant.  While I don't believe that there is no such thing is an insignificant prayer, he was suggesting that we just pray for what Ephesians three seventeen through nineteen says.  That is, that Christ would dwell in their hearts through faith, and that they would know the fullness of God's love.  (That is a major paraphrase.)  Our law enforcement officers and deputies and sheriff's department needs prayer (that includes my own husband and son, and the son of my friend who passed away in December), and families and friends affected by what took place need prayer, as well as the community in which it happened. 

Thank you, in advance. 

On a lighter note, I love looking back on apps that tell you what you were doing on this day in history a year or more ago.  I was looking at one such app yesterday, and found this picture from a family mission trip we took three years ago, to a Navajo reservation in Arizona.  We drove halfway across the country for what seemed like hundreds of hours, and on the start of our second day of driving there, we made a pit stop.


I had always wanted to see Cadillac Ranch, and when I realized it was outside of the town we spent that first night of traveling in, it was the perfect opportunity.  I'd love to go back, but I'm glad we all got to see it at least once.  For anyone who doesn't know, this is a piece of land with cars buried and standing up like this.  There are cans of spray paint laying around, for anyone who wants to commemorate that they were there, like Todd did with this above.  It was a fun little sight seeing opportunity.

Another favorite spot is when my friend and I went to Bentonville, Arkansas and visited this Frank Lloyd Wright house.



I loved being there and seeing that minimal, very simplistic and modern architecture.  I took pictures of the inside, too, even though we weren't supposed to do that.  I posted about the whole trip on Monday, so feel free to scroll down, if you want to read and see more.


Having painted nails is my favorite, and my favorite polishes are always by OPI.  Not only because of the cute names, but really because even Sally Hansen polishes from Walgreens are about the same price, but OPI polish stays on so much better, and I like the brushes better as well.  I have a whole box full of these, but I keep having to throw older colors away, so I have been replacing them slowly.  I bought this new color yesterday when my mom and I were out.  This one is called Just Lanai-ing Around, from their Hawaiian line from a few years back.  I even did a pedicure for myself, and I figured out a way to do that without hurting my fractured foot.  Toddley offered to do them for me last week, but I wanted to try one last way and it worked. 


Reading is my favorite, and so are Nora Ephron movies (like Sleepless In Seattle and You've Got Mail), and I plan on reading this book tonight.  I got this in the mail on Tuesday, after preordering it a couple of months ago.  Does Amazon recommend books to anyone else?  According to them, I'm going to love this.


These DW Home candles are my favorite.  I usually buy them at HomeGoods, but I found this one at Marshalls a couple of weeks ago.  I love the cute jars they always come in, and this one has a lid, which I also love.  This one doesn't smell as good as some of the other ones I've had by this brand.


I got a new pair of shoes yesterday, and I came home and put the one on.  (Rolling my eyes.)  These are quickly becoming my new favorite pair.  It is SO COMFY!  And it's the same height as my boot, so bonus.  (If it's not the same height, it makes my hips and back hurt.)  I had the boot off for a long time last night while I did my pedicure, and I can say that my foot is still definitely hurting and the boot is needed.  The last time I fractured the same foot and bone, it took right at eight weeks before it felt good again, and I know this time it'll be the same.  I have four more weeks.  (And the only time I take this thing off is when I go to bed, except for last night and one time before when I gave myself a pedicure.)


The inexpensive little Kroger bouquets of flowers are my favorite and they last for WEEKS.  These are two weeks old, or a little more than that, actually.  They're still going strong.  I just change the water every few days. 


This dog hasn't been my favorite this week.  He is crazy.  This is how he eats all his meals.  When we sit in there with him, blocking the other dogs from seeing or getting him, and he eats his food so slowly that it makes me lose my mind.  One piece at a time.  He is so cute, my little Chip, but he has acted like a punk all week.


Last weekend was my favorite part of the week, when Missy and I were here.  We had so much fun!  Of course, we don't need to travel to have fun and laugh our heads off, we could just sit in her van in my driveway, as she picks me up and drops me off. 

I am grateful for family, for friends God has given to me, and for times of laughter.  We shouldn't ever take ourselves too seriously, and my dad always says, "Don't be so heavenly minded that you're not earthly good."  I am definitely serious minded the majority of the time, but I do also know how to laugh and cut up and have a good old time.  The Lord gave us abundant life, the bible tells us, and He means for us to enjoy what's He has lavished us with. 

Thanks for reading!  I hope you have a wonderful weekend.  Love to all! 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been following the news, but can imagine that recent events are so upsetting in the city of Memphis. I will be praying for all those troubled hearts. Love all your Friday favorites, and hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that, Tanya! Things seem to be settling down again. There were protests this weekend, but as far as I know, they all seemed peaceful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I can't believe it's already this day in the week. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was getting ready ...