Thursday, March 7, 2019

catching up and other random things

My husband left town on Monday and comes home tomorrow evening.  That being said, it's been a really weird week for all of us, it seems, and I've been useless most every day.  Ha!  I was so exhausted on Monday morning, that I literally did not do one thing that day except lay around and watch television.  I feel so lazy, writing that, but it is true.  I had ordered my groceries the day before while I had some free time between praise team practice and church, so after I dropped Toddley off at the airport, I headed straight to Kroger to pick up our groceries for the week.

Click List for the win again!

I'm not even sorry for saying that again.  It's a blessing from the Lord, and you know I don't say that lightly. 

I read some books last month, and I said I would do a book review, but I don't think I'm going to do them anymore.  I did one last month, and it just didn't "feel" right, so I took the post off of social media.  Here is the thing, with the books I read.  I love to read.  That being said, I read books by different authors and in different genres, because they start to feel redundant, if I stick to just one type book.  For instance, for years, all I read was Christian fiction, but I had to expand my horizon, because I could guess how they all turned out.  When you love to read as much as I do, and reading as much and as fast as I do, I need different books and different authors.

So I can read books that have language.  I can overlook words and not even "say" them in my mind as I read.  I cannot overlook God's name used in vain, nor can I overlook sexual scenes.  If I come across that like I did in one of the books from February, I just skip that part all together.  Different people read different things, and what I find acceptable to read, others may not.  Because of that, I don't want to share about books anymore.  I'll share the ones that I find worth mentioning though. 


I jumped on the bandwagon and read the book Where The Crawdads Sing.  Because of a few parts, I would rate it PG-13.  The book is about a young girl who is abandoned by everyone she ever loved, and totally neglected.  She raises herself, and eventually finds friendship in a young man who had been friends with her brother.  With his help, she learns how to read and how to write, because she never went back to school, afraid that the teacher would find out that she was living on her own as a young child.  I'll stop there, but the book starts with her at the age of about six, and it takes place in the nineteen fifties, then it goes through her life.  I don't want to spoil it, but trust me, this is a great book. 

The other one I read that was heartwarming was a book called Night of Miracles, by Elizabeth Berg.  It's the story of a few different people, whose paths cross.  My favorite character was an elderly lady, who is a cooking instructor.  The story had a Mitford feel to it, and it takes place in a very close knit community.  Those are my favorite kinds of books.  It did seem like there were a couple of parts the author could have left out, but I just skimmed right over them and skipped about a half page or so. 


I read an additional four books in February, and if you really want to know about them you can reach out to me privately and I'll share.  One of them I loved, but it was so disturbing, that I think I lost sleep for a few nights.  That may have been why I was so exhausted on Monday.  

It was a pretty good book month for me.  I am trying to watch less Netflix/Hulu and read more this year.  So far, so good.  I read eight books in January and six in February.  I'm on my first one still for this month.  Needless to say, I've been to the library about a hundred times, it seems, and I am going every couple of days.  


I had lunch with one of my very best friends yesterday after bible study, and it was DELIGHTFUL.  I love when I can just freely speak with the ladies that God has given me, and I have four such women in my life.  They know me very well and know my heart, and I can say things to them I'm unable to say to anyone else.  That is a real friend.  Also, if a friend doesn't point me to Jesus, I question the friendship.  I love the type of friends that are the praying friends, and that is how I became so close to two of the ladies in my life.  Christa (above) is one of them.  We ate Mexican food, of course, because it's a requirement.  We always either do that or sushi.  

Um, also?  I've never noticed those wrinkles before.  

I'm rolling my eyes at myself.

That's about all I've had going on lately.  Getting ready for my hubby to leave this week, and then a few other things here and there.  I've enjoyed having Drew around this week, it was his spring break.  He has enjoyed sleeping in every morning.  He has still worked all week, but the mornings off for him have been nice and restorative.  Graham has worked a couple of nights this week, and I want to say something about it so much, but I don't think I'm supposed to, unless you're my real life person, and I'll talk about it with you.  He had a blast both nights, though, and may be doing it again in the near future.  

Tonight we are having dinner with my mom and stepdad at their house, and I am excited about that.  We'll go out there when Graham gets home from work, and stay for a while to visit.  

Well, I need to do laundry.  There is a ton.  I've been lazy in that department too, but necessity is forcing me to get back to it today.  Thanks for reading my blog!  Love to all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I can't believe it's already this day in the week. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was getting ready ...