Monday, September 24, 2018

the weekend and a couple of REALLY great books

On Friday afternoon, Todd called me and asked if we had plans that night.  (We did not.)  Then he told me to see if one of my best friend's (Christa) and her husband Jason wanted to go out for dinner with us that night.  He NEVER does things like that....well, we go out, but he never asks another couple to tag along.  Miraculously, despite the last minute-ness of it all, it worked out great!  They were able to get her parents to watch their young daughter, and we met at our favorite sushi place at seven. 

I ate entirely too much and should have brought half of one roll home.  I cannot help myself when it comes to sushi.  I ventured out and tried a new one, and it was really good!  It had eel sauce on it, and I wasn't too sure how I would feel about it, but it was really good.  I just love sushi. 

I was STUFFED when we came home, so I went to bed almost right away.  I was up at five on Saturday, though, and when I had gotten a few things done around the house, I picked up this book to read.


I had heard it was really good from a blogger mom that I follow (Mix and Match Mama), and I know that pretty much any book she likes, I like.  I started reading it, and then left home to run errands, and cooked a big dinner, then as soon as it was all cleaned up in the kitchen, I sat down to read again, and finished it that night.  It's very Agatha Christie-like, and it was PHENOMENAL.  And the end shocked me.  It was suspenseful, which gave my family permission to scare me all day long, and just one of the best books I've read in a long time.  It did have some language in it, but I can overlook that and skim past words. 

If you're into mystery and suspense, you should consider making this one your next read.  Also, the book was set at this time of year, which appeals to me. 

The other great book I read last week was this one.


It took me a few days to read this, just because of being busy, but if I sat down on a Saturday to read this, I would finish it that same day.  It is good from the start, which I love and need a book to be like, but at the middle point, it really picks up and flies by.  I've read Kristin Hannah for YEARS, since I was in my young twenties, but these last eight or so years that she has written, her writing style has changed drastically.  She also wrote Winter Garden and The Nightingale, another two of my favorites by her in recent years.

As for the rest of the weekend, on Saturday, I made a run to Home Goods for some soap for our bathrooms and a good smelling candle.  I found both on that trip.  I went to Kroger, and that night for dinner, I made chicken tortilla soup in a GIANT stew pot.  I'm excited about all the leftovers we'll be eating on this week. 

Yesterday was church in the morning, then I came home for lunch and took a thirty minute nap.  Our little puppy, Chip accidentally got left out of his kennel while we were gone, and after a quick downstairs inspection, I was shocked to find that he was a perfect angel while we were gone!  He had no accidents and he didn't tear anything up.  Noah got lucky on that one...he was the one who left him out.

After church in the morning, I had choir practice in the afternoon, then I came home after that and got comfy with a bowl of soup.  I watched a couple of episodes of Madam Secretary while all the boys were gone, then I was in bed close to ten.  It was a great weekend.  How was yours?

On the agenda for today is bible study homework and cleaning and laundry (story of my life), and hopefully I'll get through a good chunk of my last library book from my trip there a couple of weeks ago.  That was the best library run I've had in a long time!  I read three books last week alone, and the third one I didn't mention was also amazing and I read it from Tuesday night to Wednesday morning.  Tonight I'm eating out with one of my best friends, because it's been WAY too long since I've seen her.  I'm excited about it and can't wait to catch up. 

Thanks for reading!  Love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I hope your week is going well. Mine is—it's actually flying right by. I will say that I wish this part would...