Tuesday, August 28, 2018

my mom

Today is my sweet mom's birthday.  I thought I'd share about her today, since I haven't done that in a long time.  (This post could also be titled, 'Shades of Jen's Hair'.) 


Mom is one of my very best friends.  I talk to her almost everyday, though she won't call me too often because she doesn't want to interrupt our school day.  And even though I tell her that is not at all the case, she still won't overstep.  I think that is the most considerate thing ever. 

Mom ALWAYS put herself last when I was young, and that is still the case.  My favorite thing when my kids were babies and young toddlers, was going to her house for dinner.  It was one night I never had to cook, clean, or take care of my kids.  We would get there, Mom would take the boys and be the one in charge, while Todd and I could actually sit and relax with a good meal.  That, my friends, is heaven to a young mom.

I also remember Mom being insanely gifted with a newborn baby, and crying every time she would walk out my door when they first born.  I always thought to myself what a great pediatric nurse she would have been, and though that didn't work out, I'm glad my sisters and I could provide her with lots of babies to love and nurture. 

When I was young, my friends always wanted to come over to my house, because it was well known around these parts that my mama could cook like nobody's business.  Todd can attest to that as well, because when we started dating, I think he ate dinner with us most nights.  She could get him to try foods he'd never eaten before, and to this day, some of the things he still loves are because of her.  Mom, thanks for passing down to me your love of cooking!  And also, thanks for always giving me great dinner ideas.  (I cannot tell you how many times I've called her from the parking lot of the grocery store, asking for meal ideas, because I was in a cooking rut.) 


Her fried chicken is so good, it will make you cry.  The same is true for her fried okra and fried green tomatoes, her chocolate cake, her cornbread, her DRESSING (my FAVORITE), her fried pies, and my boys will tell you she makes the BEST panini sandwich around.  I could go on and on, but I'll stop myself.  You get the picture.

My favorite thing that we do has transpired in the past few years, and that is that we love running errands together.  My boys have all gotten older, and we see her way less than we used to, so after some time has passed without us seeing each other, she'll call and ask if I want to go to lunch and to run around.  So we'll eat, and then we'll run errands together.  I'm kinda like her chauffeur, because I LOVE to drive her car and she always lets me.  (It reminds me of our old Suburban that I loved and miss!)  We'll eat, and then she may need to run somewhere, then I'll need to go to Costco, or we'll want to get our nails done or something equally as mundane and lovely.  I love those everyday, little, seemingly unimportant moments.  We always have so much to talk about and before we know it, when we part, we will have solved all the world's problems. 


Times like that are my very favorite.  I'm a quality time person, as in, that is my love language.  I never care what we do, I just like being along for the ride.  This rings true in all the relationships in my life, whether  it's with my husband, kids, parents, siblings or friends.  Those moments mean the world to me. 

So, Mom, thank you for giving me quality time.  Thank you for being such a wonderful example of a mom, and for teaching me how to be one to my boys.  Thank you for always showing me humility and selflessness.  I pray that I can be half the mom to my boys that you were/ARE to me.  I love you so much! 

And if you're not my mom reading this, thanks for reading my blog.  Love to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I can't believe it's already this day in the week. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was getting ready ...