Thursday, April 19, 2018

life lately

I can't believe it's already Thursday.  Even though it's not been too terribly busy, the week has gone by really fast.  I have several things to do before the end of this month, and I just realized yesterday that next week is practically the end of the month.  Well, maybe not, but my deadlines hit next Friday for several things I've had on the calendar. 

On Monday I played catch up from the weekend.  That is always what I do on Mondays.  I usually don't like to schedule things on that day, because surely, the laundry has gotten out of control, the house is in disarray, the kitchen needs to be put back together and the pantry organized, and I need a day of not much to do.  I have come to love Mondays, especially after my busy Sundays.  (Sunday is the longest day of the week for me: up early to be at church by 9:15 or sometimes 8:30 if I'm on praise team, home after for a quick lunch and nap if I'm lucky, back at three for choir practices, then Sunday night or community group services at church.) 

The biggest accomplishment of that day was that I cleaned out our refrigerator.  That night, three of the boys and Rachel and I went to CiCi's for dinner with my in-love's.  It had been a couple of weeks since we had seen them, so we enjoyed catching up with them over dinner at a favorite restaurant of ours. 

Oh, and Todd worked that night, which was really random, but whatever.

On Tuesday, Drew had a class at his weekly tutorial, and when he got home, we met Mom for lunch at a yummy and new to me Mexican restaurant.  I could eat Mexican food every day of the week.  It was really good.  After lunch the boys headed back home, and she and I went and ran some errands together.  I've mentioned before how much I love doing mundane things together with the ones I love.  It makes running errands so much better.  I also love catching up, because I hadn't seen Mom in about a week. 

Our last stop that day was at a local nursery.


I LOVE tulips.  There were plenty to gaze at that day. 

That night all the boys (minus Graham, who was in class) went to church to watch some basketball games that were going on.  Todd and I watched The Voice, which is INCREDIBLY painful to watch this year, because all the contestants are picking their own songs and the songs aren't great.

Yesterday, Jonah and Noah and I made a quick Costco run to pick up a few essentials, then came home and put it all away.  I had bible study that afternoon at four, and then church was last night. 

Meanwhile, and having nothing to do with anything I've written about so far, look at my great-nieces.


I could eat them up!  Kinsley is on the left, Kylie on the right.

I can't wait until I can see them again. 

Also, Drew turned in an application for a mission trip this week.  Here's a picture of him and some pretty great Navajo kiddos from last year.


I posted this on social media to ask for prayers as they prepare to go in June, and to say that he is currently fundraising.  He's gotten a couple of calls this week already for some odd jobs, so if that was you who called him, thank you so much for thinking of him! 


I loved these verses from Psalm this week, in my bible reading. 


This was me on Tuesday night, searching for a particular verse in Psalm, and I just sat and poured over several chapters that night while I was looking.  I love this page in my new bible from the front of the book.  My bible is the She Reads Truth bible, and it is the most beautiful one I've ever owned.  I have loved marking it all up since November.


And, finally, this call came yesterday.  It's getting real!  It'll be here before I know it, and I know these last weeks before graduation are going to FLY BY.  That was the case last year. 

I also have to take a few minutes to tell you about Graham.  Since January, he has been taking classes at night to be on the sheriff's department as a volunteer, just like his dad.  Someday this will provide insurance for Graham and his family, which is really a huge benefit.  (This also provides our insurance.)  Anyway, since April, the classes have been every night and every Saturday.  If all goes well, he will graduate from these classes one week from tonight.  I am so proud of him for being so diligent in studying and going.  He's only missed one class, and it was when we were in Nashville for Tracy's surgery, but he has since caught up again.  Today at noon, he will be taking the National Registry test, which will give him his license in Emergency Medical Response if he passes.  I'm confident in his ability to do so, and while he's been in class, he's been either one of the top students, or THE top student. 


This kid has grown up a lot in the year since this picture was taken.  He decided to forego college for now, because he was never certain what he wanted to do.  I applaud his decision, for a few reasons.  College isn't for everyone, being one of them.  Another is that he didn't want to waste time or money, if he didn't have a  particular path he wanted to pursue.  So, since he decided to not be in school, we asked him to work full time.  In July he went to work for my husband, for the family business, which is repairing medical equipment and doing electrical safety checks for certain types of equipment.  Graham has excelled in this, and has not missed many days in the almost one year that he's been working.  I know it hasn't always been easy for him to step into this very adult role in life, but he has done amazingly well at it all, and we could not be more proud.  Their customers ADORE him, and he is very responsible.  He lives at home still, but he comes and goes as he pleases, even though he will still ask me for permission to go somewhere.  (He does NOT have to do that, but I know he does it out of courtesy and respect.)  I haven't seen him much since January, I won't lie, and I cannot count how few times the six of us have sat around the kitchen table.  When he has an off night, he goes out to the country to spend time with his other family, also known as Rachel and her parents. 

Will you help me in praying for him today?  We would greatly appreciate it.  You should see the book that he's had to learn!  It's about four inches thick and he's marked it all up with notes as he's studied since January.  Once he graduates from this class, his life will free up considerably.  He is trained (and will be certified) in everything from how to drive emergency vehicles all the way through how to deliver a baby.  (Eeeks.)  I'll keep you posted on the results of the test as soon as he hears.  I know it'll be a few days, at least.  Thanks, friends! 

And thanks for reading my blog.  Love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...