Thursday, August 25, 2016

weird and unrelated topics

For the past two days, our keyboard to the computer here in the living room has not worked right.  I figured it was just the batteries going dead, but I kept forgetting to tell my husband.  Yes, he spoils me, and I did not just try to replace them myself.  But that's another blog post.  Only certain buttons weren't working, like the -- button and I kept noticing that I was getting symbols as if I was writing in Spanish.  I'm not even kidding.  Somehow, the English/Spanish keyboard was selected on the computer and that was also effecting it not working right.

(This is going to be one of those posts.)

Toddley fixed it all last night.  He's brilliant.  Seriously.  I'm so thankful for his handyman capabilities that God has gifted him with.

Drew got his truck back!  In case you didn't know, we've been sharing vehicles.  Drew's came back yesterday and then went away again.  Ha.  But really...after everything being repaired, it needed a major alignment so they took it last night right before church and will get it back today.  Next up on the repair list is my car; tomorrow we take it to get something repaired before we leave for vacation on Saturday.

We have been having a marriage retreat of sorts at our church on Wednesday nights.  After last night, I am seriously bummed that I missed part one.  It will continue for two more weeks, but I will miss next week as well, with us being gone.  I'm hoping to get it on cd or something, so I can take notes.  Last night's topic was forgiveness, and what that can do for your marriage.  He listed out what forgiveness IS and what it is NOT.  It was so good!  I was scribbling furiously the entire time.  The man giving this seminar or retreat or whatever you want to call it is a counselor and does not go to our church.  I'd tell you his name, but I cannot remember it for the life of me.  He's also written a book.

I had lunch with Abbey yesterday!  I didn't write that yesterday, because I wasn't sure if she knew the secret then or not.


Her boyfriend is in dental school and is gone all of this week and next for that, so in his absence, he planned a little surprise for her every one of those days.  He texted me over a week ago and asked if I would be available for lunch with her on this particular day, and if so, to keep it secret.  The fun thing is that he has made little riddles and such for her to find, and he's hidden them throughout her house.  So for yesterday, he created a magical Christmas word search with the names of movie characters for her to find.  When she had found them all, she had to take the left over letters and unscramble them to figure out the clue.  It spelled out "lunch with Jennifer".

Can you even believe all of that?  Todd said he's starting not to like this guy because of how bad he's making him look.  Also?  Abbey loves the Christmas season, just as I do.

Our lunch date was wonderful.  We ate at Chili's and just caught up with each other.  It was nice to have no agenda for this lunch.  If we do something like this, it's usually with other people and it's to talk about plans for something.  I soaked up the time we spent together and afterward, she treated me to a chai tea latte from Starbucks.

I love this girl so much.  If you saw this on social media, I said it on there, but I'll say the same on the blog as well.  I don't even remember how we became such good friends, but the fact that we pray together weekly cemented our friendship.  God put in both of us the desire to have a prayer partner and through that, I feel like He literally knit our hearts together.  We are so much alike!  We have this connection that I've only had with one other friend, and it's the friend that she reminds me so much of, Christa.  There is something so unique about both of these friendships that I speak of, and it can only be that the Holy Spirit is in the middle of it all.  I know that this is a rare treasure, to have TWO such friendships, but I am so thankful to God for His gift to me in both of these friends.

It's so good for my heart, to be with each of them, and after time with them, I feel recharged.

Needless to say, I really enjoyed our lunch yesterday.  And I'm really excited that I get to see Christa in a few days!

I posted this picture of Noah yesterday.


I've been doing posts like this about each of the boys on social media, and Noah was the third I've done.  First was Jonah, then Graham, Noah and I'll do Drew in the next couple of weeks.  I used to write blog posts all about them, called He, but this is just a shorter version of that.  Here is what I said about Noah yesterday on Instagram:

Some things about Noah that I love: He eats slow and takes his time with everything.  He is generous and NEVER has money because he buys things for other people or gives it away.  He has an intense love for chocolate.  He always volunteers to pray, no matter where we are or who we are with.  He does things for people all the time, just last week, he walked down to an elderly lady's house and asked if he could do her yard work.  FOR FREE.  He loves to  give me the long hugs that I crave, often times ending it by dancing with me in the kitchen.  He puts others above himself and is a wonderful friend to have, though most kids his age don't know that about him.  He is fiercely loyal.  And the best thing about him?  He loves Jesus with all his heart, soul, mind and strength, and loves others as himself.  I am so thankful that I get the privilege of being his mom.  (And the others as well.)

Isn't he precious?  He has kind eyes, doesn't he?  Someone said that you can tell all of that about him from his eyes.  I love that...and I love the verses in Matthew 6 that talk about the eyes being the lamp of the body.  That's in verses twenty two and twenty three.

Today on my agenda is a giant trip to the grocery store.  (Probably two.)  And a trip to the pet store.  Jonah and Noah need more meal worms for their leopard geckos and bearded dragon.  My sweet mama is going with me!  And Jonah and Noah, because Graham and Drew are both working for a little while.  

I'm counting down until we leave!  I'm so excited.  I will be relieved when we are loaded and in the car...the parts before that I don't love so much, because we take a lot with us, but it'll all be worth it once we're there.  Here's to hoping my husband's driving doesn't make me car sick this time.

Well, speaking of getting things accomplished, I guess I'd better get a move on.  Love to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

a weekend recap: girls trip edition

  Happy Tuesday, friends! I'm linking up with Joanne today, which is appropriate, since she was one of the ones on my weekend girls tri...