Tuesday, February 23, 2016

hiding God's word in my heart


If you know me, you know I love to memorize Scripture.  I attempted this all last year, and it just never stuck.  Some verses did, others did not.  I don't really know why that happened, but I moved on and let go of the commitment.  

In my quiet time today, I read Psalm 23 and though I knew some of it already, I thought I would give it another go every once in a while, starting with the short Psalm I read today.  I read the HCSB Bible (that my dad and stepmom gave me for my birthday), so that's the translation you'll see written below.

I memorize Scripture because the word tells us that we are to hide His word in our hearts.  And out of the overflow of our hearts, our mouth speaks.  (That's another Bible verse.)  I also do this because I have anxious tendencies.  Nothing soothes my soul and brings peace like reciting the word of God.   I thought I would share this today, because maybe you're reading this and you're struggling with anxiety or worry.  May I challenge and encourage you to memorize Scripture?

Just try it and see for yourself...either way, you'll have hidden His word in your heart.

Here is the twenty third Psalm from my Bible.

The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.

He lets me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters.  

He renews my life; He leads me along the right paths for His name's sake.

Even when I go through the darkest valley, I fear no danger, for You are with me; Your rod and your staff-they comfort me.

You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for as long as I live.  

Love to all.

No comments:

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...