Monday, January 25, 2016

words


Words have been on my mind a lot lately.  The words I say, how I say them, the words others say, and how they have the ability to stir up one another to love and good works, like this verse above says, or how they might tear someone down.  I know there is a lesson in here for me somewhere, because this is what the Lord often does in my life.  It seems like sometimes He highlights words in my life.

One such word that I talked about last week was the word diligent, but this week's word is different.  It's words.

I love this bible verse.  I am a firm believer that we should speak life with our words, and that we need to show grace.  I suppose one reason I am considering this word is because last week, my two youngest boys felt as if someone had torn them down with words.

In facing these types of things in the past week, my kids have learned a good lesson, and I try to tell them daily how they can handle situations differently.  There was another situation that my older boys were involved in, and I challenged them to look differently than those around them, and to stop participating in conversations that weren't honoring to God or the person being talked about.

Again, another hard lesson, but one that has to do with words and how hurtful they can be or how life-giving or gracious they can be.

There is not a perfect person in our existence today.  There was One a couple thousand years ago, and He was the only perfect One to have ever walked on this earth.  That One is Jesus, and we are to be imitators of Him, leading a life that is an example to others, above reproach and set apart.  The older I get, the more aware I become of that and what that looks like.  One thing I told my boys lately is that we all need to look the opposite of those around me.  For instance, if I am hearing someone talk about someone that wouldn't honor God or that person, then I need to make a stand.  The bible tells us that we should speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15).

The bible also tells us that we should have love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (Galatians 5:22-23).  We are told to put on heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, that we should forgive those we have complaints about and that above all, we are to put on love (Colossians 3:12-15).

Those are the kinds of words and behaviors that stir up one another to love and good works.

This picture that I found on the internet last week was a wonderful reminder for me, and for my family and how I can teach them.  I pray that it's helpful to you, as well.  Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...