Tuesday, July 22, 2014

service

Do you serve others?  Do you look for opportunities to pour yourself out on others, in the sweet name of Jesus?  I didn't always look for opportunities to serve.  I cringe to think of how selfish I was with our resources and time.  God has done so many things in my life, but one of the biggest things He has done is change my perspective.

I love how mission-minded our church has become.  In the past couple of years, we've started taking "church" outside the walls of our beautiful building.

I especially love serving others with my family.  I don't write this to brag, because trust me...there is nothing to brag about in this life of mine, except all of what Jesus has done in our lives.  I do write this, however, to encourage you to find a place to serve others.

We were given an opportunity to do this with some of my church family today, and it was a beautiful sight to behold.  We filled one hundred and eighty-one backpacks for underprivileged kids in the Brinkley Heights area of Memphis.  Money and supplies were donated and after the bags were filled, they were delivered.


These are just a few that we worked on.  :)

We don't serve to make ourselves to feel good, but we serve because it's a joy to do what is required of us. I was reminded of a verse in Luke that talks about this, that to whom much has been given, much is required.  Though we are in no way wealthy in the eyes of the world, we are rich in the love of Jesus.

I encourage you to look for ways to serve with your family.  It is so good for kids to participate in this.  The world does not revolve around these little humans we've been given to raise, much to the dismay of some.  It's good for them to help others, to put others before themselves and to always be ready to lend a helping hand.

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.  For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.  We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.  (Romans 12:3-8)

Even though these verses talk about us all having different gifts, I also think that we are all called to serve in some way.  It's a joy and an honor and a privilege to be able to love others the way that Jesus loves us.

Here's one more funny picture from today~my friend Lori took this because my phone was dead and she texted it to me.  I think Drew was trying to break a record on how many he could carry to load onto the church bus.  ;)


One other thing about serving that I love is that in doing so, it keeps our eyes fixed on Jesus.  It's hard to be temperamental or mad or fearful when you have your eyes fixed on Him.  Even if this isn't your spiritual gift, look for an opportunity like this every once in a while.  It's really cool to see how God works in situations like today, when my friend wasn't even sure at first if she had enough money to get what was needed.  It's like the fishes and bread story in the Bible and how Jesus multiplied what they had to feed the crowd.

Thanks for reading.  Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites, 4.26.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...