Friday, January 24, 2014

I don't really have a title...

I love Thursday's.  My kids love Thursday's, too.  After a full week together all day, everyday, by Thursday we are more than ready to look at other people.

There are days (weeks) that my kids grate on my last nerve.  Particularly, my oldest son and my oldest twin.  They are two peas in a pod, and they fight like cats and dogs (I should say, "They fight like Twinkles and Crash.").  They annoy each other just to annoy each other, they pick on each other, they hit each other, they just act like typical brothers.  And there are those day when I feel like I. CANNOT. TAKE. ONE. MORE. SECOND. OF. THEIR. FIGHTING.

Those are the days when I call in the reinforcements, otherwise known as my wonderful husband.  I really, really try to not be that mom who says, "Just wait until your dad gets home!".  I also try to not be be that wife who bombards him the second he walks in the back door with my long list of complaints from our day.  Because I try to handle things like this during our day when he's at work, he will usually jump right in with whatever I've asked him to handle once he gets home.  Or sometimes he'll wait until after dinner.  Because sometimes, the kids just need their dad to handle the disciplinary actions.

I'll be honest~we don't have to discipline our kids that much.  When we do have to punish them for something, it's usually over something like I talked about in the paragraphs above, or because they've not done something they've been repeatedly told.  (Chores.)  When we do have to take action with them, I am always so thankful that I have someone who has my back.  I hope that my husband also knows that I've got his back.  I would say that is one of the most important things you can do in marriage~support one another completely.  Trust me, we are nowhere near perfect, and for those times when we do disagree, we sincerely try not to disagree in front of our kids.

(Know that we have, before, though and will again...it's okay if you've done that, too!  We've apologized in front of them and we moved on from there.  Sometimes I think it's kinda good for kids to see parents disagree in front of them.  It shows them that we're human and that we mess up.)

Aside from the fact that my kids sometimes grate on the nerves, I really do love homeschooling them.  It's a privilege to be able to this, and it's something I've wanted for so long.  I feel like I'm living out my dream.

It was so cold here yesterday!  (I love it!)  The high was in the mid-twenties and it was really windy, so needless to say, as soon as we got home, I went straight upstairs and changed clothes.


I don't know if it's that I'm getting older, or that my iron is still a little on the low side, but when I get cold, I almost cannot get warmed up.  The only thing that warmed me up yesterday were these fleece pants, these fuzzy boots and this heater.  My hands are like ice much of the time, and it's usually only when I hold them up to direct heat that they warm up.  (Or sometimes I make one of my boys hold my hands to warm them~all five of them are like small heaters...I did this to Drew last Saturday night in the car on our way home from my mom's house, and he loved it.  If you believe that, then know that I was being facetious.)

It was a good night for a simple dinner...my ultimate comfort food favorite, spaghetti, Caesar salad and garlic bread.  My sister had come over to wash some things, so she ate with us.

I miss the days when my kids were younger.  They used to make forts all the time, and I loved seeing what they had come up with.  Imagine my surprise when Jonah and Noah came to find me last night to show me what they had constructed upstairs.


Their very own under-the-ping-pong-table-fort, complete with Christmas lights.  :)  Pretty ingenious, right?

They were going to sleep there last night but changed their minds once they went to bed.  The plan is to do this again tonight, though, especially if their friend Andy can spend the night.

What are your plans for this weekend?  What did your kids used to do that you loved and miss, now that they're older?  Do your kids fight like mine?  What do they fight about, and how do you handle it?

I ask, because I haven't heard from anyone in a long time.  I am needing some comment love, so please humor me.

Happy Friday to you and yours!  Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

a weekend recap: girls trip edition

  Happy Tuesday, friends! I'm linking up with Joanne today, which is appropriate, since she was one of the ones on my weekend girls tri...