Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Jamestown Settlement

I am so thankful for the beautiful weather we've had while we've been here.  It's been hot, but thank the good Lord it's been sunny.  I think there's a slight chance of rain here tomorrow night, but that's the only day that there's even a chance.  Today was fun~we spent this one day at the Jamestown settlement.  There's also the Jamestown historical part, but we skipped that one.

We took the scenic route to get there, and I am so glad we did!  We stumbled upon this pretty amazing little beach along the way.  This is near the James River~whatever body of water this is, it is huge.



They felt the water...it felt amazing, but unfortunately, we weren't prepared for them to swim.  We might go back tomorrow.

Once we arrived in Jamestown, we bought our tickets, got the boys signed up to participate in the Coats of Arms class they offered, and we then we settled in for our picnic.


We were all laughing, which is why everyone has funny faces.  ;)

After the boys had their two hour class, we explored.  The first thing we came to was the Powhatan Indian village.  The boys got to go in authentic huts.  


They also saw how they cooked their meals and how they made canoes.


After this reservation, we saw replicas of the ships the early settlers came over on.



This might have been my favorite thing so far.  I love the water, and standing on the ship, looking out over the water was really neat.  I cannot imagine how in the world they crossed the ocean in something so rickety.  It almost gave me chills, standing and looking out over the water.

After this part of our tour, we saw a fort.  I don't know what it was called.  By the time we reached this part, my phone had died.  (Wouldn't you know that I forgot my camera?  All these pictures have been taken with my phone.)  And I was DONE.  With the walking, I mean...I don't want to talk about what kind of shoes I had on.

It was an amazing day.  On tomorrow's agenda is...a day to spend relaxing.  We plan on cooking a late breakfast, using up all the rest of our breakfast food and letting the boys swim to their little heart's content.  I also want the boys to see the College of William and Mary.  Near the college is the downtown area of Williamsburg, which has lots of cool little shops.  Phyllis and I might do a little shopping.

This trip has been amazing, and the boys are having the time of their lives.  We'll check out of our condo Friday morning and will travel into Washington D.C.  Todd's cousin is retiring from the Army, and we'll be attending her retirement ceremony and reception.  After that we are doing a twilight bus tour of D.C.  I am so excited about that!!  The tour will hit all the major tourist spots in the city.  We'll be spending the night in Manassas, Virginia.  Saturday morning, we'll get up and see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and we plan on going to the Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian.

After that, we will be hitting the road and heading home.  We'll spend the night somewhere and finish our drive on Sunday.

Whew!  It's been awesome.  And now, I am off to bed...after I finish my ice cream sandwich and diet coke.  ;)  Love to all.


No comments:

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...