Monday, August 26, 2013

Miley Cyrus and how I feel about looking to others

Last night, apparently, the Video Music Awards were on television.  Thanks to Facebook, I picked up on that right away.  They weren't on our television, though...Todd and Jonah were having a marathon time of watching Breaking Amish and Mountain Men, or something along that line.

I almost wish I had watched the VMA's for just a few minutes, though, because of all the feedback I saw about Miley Cyrus.  Gone forever is the sweet, innocent teen I saw grow up on Hannah Montana, and in her place is a wannabe cross between Madonna and Lady GaGa.  (And yes, even though I have boys, we did watch that show all the time~I loved it and often would continue watching even when the boys had left the room.)

And then I turned on The Today Show.  I got to see a clip of her performance last night.  And now I wished I hadn't.  She was wearing some one-piece bathing suit-looking thing and her short spiky bleached blond hair was somehow pulled high into twin pig-tails.  As if these things weren't bad enough on their own, add to this the fact that she sang along with Robin Thicke as he performed Blurred Lines.  I feel the need to tell you that if you have kids that listen to that song, go read the lyrics.  Mine don't listen to anything by him, but after a performance of his on The Today Show, I went and found the lyrics online.  No wonder I was blushing while I watched him perform on t.v.!  And Robin Thicke~the son of Allen Thicke, who played the dad on Growing Pains!  I just put those little facts together about a month ago.

Other posts from last night I saw that were kinda sad to me were things said about the men who were on the awards.  Not just from women, but from married women, y'all.

It makes me sad for the husbands.  And how emasculated they would feel if they were to come across what women were saying about these other younger, perhaps more handsome, men.  What in the world have we come to?!  I don't know if I'm just getting old, or if I have no tolerance for things anymore, or what, but I just cringe when I see or hear of all this.

It reminds me of how thankful I am that I don't have to look to people to make me happy.  I don't set my sights on the best and the greatest singers, or the prettiest or most handsome movie stars, I don't even look to the latest magazines to find out what's in style.  I don't have to, because none of those things bring me complete joy.  And I'm glad that I realize that if I do look to these people or things, I will be disappointed every single time.

Why?

Because man fails.  Time and again, people let you down.  They lead you astray.  And if you look to things to make you happy (bring you joy), those will grow old and that newness will wear off.  What do I look to?  Or Who, rather?

I set my eyes on Jesus.  He alone brings me joy and happiness...and His newness never wears off.  I don't need things or people to make me happy...I am confident in Whose I am and He never lets me down.  Never.  He never disappoints me.

In fact, over and over again in His word, He tells me that He will never leave me or forsake me.

He brings peace, comfort, joy and contentment.  The last time I checked, people or things can't produce all those things.

So, my challenge to you is this: look for moments that you can fix your eyes on Jesus.  Spend some time in His word.  Listen to worship music and give Him the praise He deserves.  Spend some time talking to Him.  Spend some time listening for Him.  (That's the difficult one.)  I'm not saying don't watch t.v. or don't buy anything, although if I were you, I would only do those things in moderation.  Look to Him for happiness.  Look for moments to give Him glory.  Find someone in need to give to.  Do a good deed for someone.  Speak love and kindness into someone....like that grumpy cashier at Kroger or the new kid fumbling his way through your order at Chick Fil A.  ;)

Because when you pour yourself into others, guess what happens?  It brings you joy.  Not that that's why you should do it, but you definitely are blessed for your efforts.  Try being the hands and the feet of Jesus.  Love the unlovable.  Shake that dear man's hand who walked into your church in his pajama's...don't shake your head at him and condemn him.  Embrace him!

"Love must be sincere.  Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.  Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.  Honor one another above yourselves."  Romans 12:9~10

I dare you.  Just try it.  And let me know how it works out for you.  Love to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...