Monday, May 27, 2013

Happy Memorial Day

Today is a different kind of Memorial day for me~we usually spend the morning part of this day at a ceremony at a military cemetery with my sweet dad and stepmom.  They are out of town, though.  We were going to go, but it turns out that Todd had another camp counselor meeting this morning. 

So here I sit. 

I'm a little sad that we're not doing our tradition.  I'm such a stickler for things like that, ya know?  If I veer off that familiar course, I feel like something is wrong.  Add to that the fact that Jonah and Noah aren't here, and it's just a weird morning. 

Speaking of my dad, though, I thought I would share a little about him.  He is eighty-two years old and served in the Navy.  He was a hospital corpsman during the Korean war...and he thinks that his part was insignificant.  I have to disagree, though.  Without him, more soldiers would have fallen ill and more would have died.  He had a huge part during that war, and I am proud of him. 

I am thankful that he was kept safe, too.  I cannot imagine what people are feeling today as they remember their loved ones who weren't as fortunate.  My childhood friend's sister is one of those moms~her son was injured in Afghanistan, and later died.  He was only in his early twenties, and was still a newlywed. 

My heart goes out to them today~and to all the other families who have lost loved ones.  From the bottom of my heart, thank you.  It is because of them that we have freedom in America. 

"There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."  John 15:13

Will you take a moment and join me in praying for our soldiers today?   Thanks, and love to all.


No comments:

Good Friday Favorites, 3.29.2024.

  Happy Good Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week...