Wednesday, April 17, 2013

#1322

Yes, you read that number write.  That's how many entries I've written since I started this blog back in 2000 and something.  {I can't remember the exact date.}  Who'd have thought I'd have so much to say?

It's interesting looking back over what I've written.  {Not for you, for me.}  I see lots of things God's done in the life of my family and in me.  He's brought me a long way from where I started.  I'm not really sure why I'm writing all this, except that I didn't realize how much I had written until just now.

Anyway.

I was driving home from Cordova last night, and it was one of those magical nights.  {Todd had his annual sheriff's department dinner, so he and I went while the boys stayed with his parents.}  The weather was nice, so we had the windows rolled down and the radio turned up.  We were singing along to some music when all of a sudden I heard something smack Graham's cheek.  It hit him so hard that it appeared as if someone had slapped him.

Turns out, it was a bug.  Never in my 36 years on this earth have I ever had a bug fly into my open car window and smack me like that.  It was so funny, that I still chuckle as I write that.  Anyway, it took us a minute or two to figure out what it was, and Graham saw that the bug had committed suicide on his face and landed in his lap.  He reached for a Kleenex to wipe it off him, and as he grabbed one, the whole box of tissue flew out the window.

I. LOST. IT.  I was laughing hysterically.  I was afraid someone would hear me I was laughing so hard and so loud, and try to help me, thinking I was upset or something.  Todd was driving in front of me, and he didn't realize all that had taken place.  I had to pull over so Graham could jump out and fling the bug off of him.

I love moments like that.  Ones that I'll remember for ages and laugh when I think about it.  I think sometimes that I forget to look for moments that we can enjoy.  Sometimes I'm just too busy~with school work, or house work, or my mind is preoccupied.  I'm all too often guilty of not enjoying these little moments.  I pray that God will remind me of last night often, and in doing that, that I will remember to just slow down and enjoy life and laugh more.

Remember in a post a couple days ago when I said something about saying "yes" more and "no" less?

I think this is that moment.  I need to look for and seize moments to say "yes".  Whether it's in playing a game, making homemade cookies, helping me with dinner, driving them to the park for soccer or football before the public school kids are out, watching a movie, inviting a friend over...

I need to say "yes", getting rid of my inclination to do the opposite.

It might mean that my house isn't perfect, or that dog hair will still be on my floor, or fingerprints will be all over the pantry door, or that things are "picked up", or that we're having to go dig clean socks out of dryer.

Those things will always be there.

These moments with these precious boys of mine will not.

God has put us where we are for "such a time as this".  {That's from Esther 4:14.}  For this moment, for today, my role is wife and homeschooling mom to four.  There will be time for all that other stuff years and years from now.

The key to all this is to just remember...and I pray that the Lord helps me do so.  Love to all.

No comments:

Good Friday Favorites, 3.29.2024.

  Happy Good Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week...