Wednesday, February 6, 2013

day 98, Wednesday

If you missed my number ninety-seven post, I included it in the post from yesterday, Why I Love Homeschooling.  I went back and changed it this morning.

We just got back from running a couple of errands.  Our last stop was Walmart.  I had to get a few things to hold us over until Friday, one of which was a birthday present for our neighbor's youngest boy, Zander.  Today is his sixth birthday.  I love shopping for little boys.  Seriously.  It seems like yesterday that mine were turning six.  I can't believe the two "little's" are turning double digits this year.  That is a HUGE milestone birthday.  Do you remember yours?

Back to Zander.  He and his older brother, Myles, have so many toys.  I called Katie to ask if it would be better to get something for their new room they're about to move into.  (Katie and Travis are having a baby boy, who will be born in April.  Myles and Zan are getting a new room.)  She quickly agreed with my decision, because like us, her house is overflowing.  We ended up picking out a really cute calendar, because both the boys love keeping track of days and a poster for them to enjoy.  I also bought some tacky stuff to hang the poster with, because their Uncle Travis probably wouldn't approve of using thumb tacks.

Shopping for Zan and imagining the simple joy on his face as he opens his birthday gifts makes my heart swell with something warm and fuzzy.

Not only are Katie and Travis (and Myles and Zander) our neighbors, they're also some of our very best friends.  I think they're one of the only couples that know almost everything about us.  We swim together, we camp together, we eat together, we play cards together, we even get sick together.  (Literally.  The last few times we've been sick, we've shared our illnesses.)

On this ninety-eighth day of being thankful, I am especially thankful for God's gift of neighbors.  They're much more than that, and yet they're neighbors.  No longer do we knock on the front door.  We simply open the door, and call out.

They are definitely one of God's gifts to us.  Love to all.  

p.s.  I leave you with some camping memories we've shared with them.  :)













No comments:

third Tuesday check-in

  Happy Tuesday, friends! It's time for the third Tuesday check-in, when I'll share a very honest assessment on how life is going in...