Wednesday, January 30, 2013

just a few things

Since I started homeschooling all four boys, I feel like the majority of my time is spent in the kitchen.

*Please don't think I'm complaining, I'm not, I promise!  I love the kitchen.  I love cooking, I love the cleaning part (well, maybe not always), I love that all the boys are here every single day for every single meal.

If you ask them, they'll tell you one of their favorite parts about being homeschooled is the fact that they get really good breakfasts and lunches.  ;)  It's true that the way to a boy's (man's) heart is through his stomach.  This morning I made breakfast sandwiches which consisted of sausage and cheese between two pieces of toast.  I had yogurt.

Just now we had lunch.  Jonah and Noah had a leftover chicken tender (which was HUGE) from the other day, Noah had cheese with his, Graham had a sandwich and French onion dip, Drew had broccoli cheese soup and crackers, and I had half a sandwich with a few chips with dip on them.  We all drank sweet tea, except for Jonah, who had a coke because of a sinus headache he's had all day.

*Note to self, maybe on days when a child has a sinus headache, that child shouldn't be made to read or concentrate heavily on a unit review of vocabulary words from the past ten weeks.

I will be done in the kitchen until about four thirty.  Then I'll start pulling everything together for tonight's dinner.  Which will be super simple because it's church night.  I like to clean as I go, so at the end of a meal time, my counters are always clean and clutter-free.

Like I said, most of my day is spent in the kitchen.  Especially when you factor in the fact that at least two boys do work at the kitchen table.  My Bible and devotional books are in there, too, so sometimes, we all sit while we work or read quietly.  It's kind of nice.

Speaking of the Bible and today's devotion, I came across a great verse for today.  It's from first John, chapter five, verses fourteen and fifteen.  They read like this:

 "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.  And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him."

I simultaneously love and dislike these verses.  I love them because, obviously, it's God's written word.  And I love that assurance that God hears us, and gives to us what His good, pleasing and perfect will is.  The thing I dislike about these verses is that sometimes when we pray God's will, it hurts.  

For example, Monday nights have become my favorite.  :)  My sweet best friend, Mandy, and I have started watching The Bachelor together.  I know the show's junk, but I love it and it's always more fun to watch with a friend.  The first night we watched together I made a fudge pie for us to enjoy together, and I took a thermos of decaf coffee with special cream.  This past Monday night, she made cookies, along with strawberries and whipped cream.  Yum!!  I was miserable when I left her.  

The reason I go to her house is because her hubby manages the Carrabba's in The Ville.  Lately, he's been traveling to Murfreesboro (near Nashville) each week, from Monday through Friday.  She hates the traveling he's been forced to do.  Even though he works late hours, just knowing that he'll be home with her later, is reassuring.  We've been talking about this for quite some time, and the big question has been, 'is he going to be transferred there?' because of how much he's been going.  

I've started praying that God just have His way in their lives.  Mandy is miserable, I know David isn't thrilled, the kids miss him when he's gone.  I know that God's plan for them is perfect, and I've been praying for some answer, any answer for the direction He might be leading them.   And as much as I love my precious friend and would miss her, I know that the way they've been living apart is not good for a family.  

We have this rule, that we each come last with one another.  Husband and family ALWAYS come before our time together.  Which is why, when we spend Monday nights together, it's late, after our families have been taken care of.  She gets me in a way that nobody else does.  We have this thing, where we laugh with our eyes.  I swear, we can tell stories without uttering a single word.  

The first time we met was when we were in middle school.  She was from Atlanta, Georgia and lived here for two amazing years.  They moved back to Atlanta, but I traveled there to see her anytime I could.  Spring break, summers, this one time I was there on vacation when her parents decided to take us to Panama City Beach, Florida.  We have stories that would make an Armed Guard laugh.  

We go way back, needless to say.  

Which is why I am near devastated over the fact that they are moving.  I don't know when, or for how long, but I know it'll be within six months.  Probably less.  I always knew that this was their temporary home, though.  I wasn't all that surprised, even, when she told me.  However sad I am, though, I am so happy that God is doing His thing, and getting them all in the same location.  I know her daughter is sad, but it'll be a good thing for their son, who doesn't have many friends here.  (He's in 8th grade, she's in 11th.)  

Why do my best friends always have to leave?  I could really start a pity party here.  

I won't, though.  I know the tears will come soon enough.  For now, I will enjoy whatever time with my sweet Mandy that I have left.  I will continue watching our show on Monday nights with her, I will continue to have our girls' night outs with her, I will celebrate her 37th birthday with her next month.  And you better believe, I'll be visiting her at least twice a year in her new town.  :)

Sorry for the length~I just needed to "cry" a little to someone.  I'll leave you with a pic of us from Christmas.  
  
I hope you all are blessed enough to have a best friend, or at least a friend, as amazing as this woman is.  I love her.  

Love to all.   


5 comments:

Clementsville: Population of 5! said...

Jennifer I feel the same way lately! I don't have a ton of friends, but all of my REALLY close, know every single thing about me friends have all moved away. I was recently talking to God and asked him what He is trying to teach me when He has my closest friends move away. For me the friendship is always different when they move. It's not the same, daily chats. You no longer know everything about them and even though we always pick up right where we left off, it's so hard! I will be praying for you and your friend!!

Rene' said...

Awww...she really is sweet. I'm so glad I got to meet her! Childhood friends are the best....and that relationship will always stay special!! Tell her hi for me! Love ya!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Katie, it is so hard. Luckily, for me, the friendships never changed. When we meet up, it's always right where we left off. I know it's hard to schedule the time for long-distanced friendships, but I have found that phone "dates" are sometimes as meaningful as face-to-face time. I would appreciate the prayers!!

Rene, I forgot you met her! I think it will always be there, too. There's definitely something to be said for history, you know? I still have a few months left...I was just having a moment of pity. Ha! I will. :)

Shari said...

I hate to hear that your best friend is moving away! :( However, as a spouse to a husband who is gone a lot during the week, I know she will be so happy to be living in the same place again. Enjoy the days you have eft in the same town. Then visit each other whenever you can!!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Thanks, Shari! I know...I'm fortunate enough that Todd doesn't travel. I am happy that they'll all be together again. I do plan on enjoying the time we have left!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...