Thursday, September 8, 2011

Tough Conversations

I read a blog post this morning from a wife and homeschooling mom named Courtney.  If you're interested in reading what I'm talking about, go HERE and check it out for yourself. 

Let me start by saying that I love how she so graciously responds to some pretty vicious attacks.  The article is called, 'My Conversation With an Atheist'.  In this post, she lets us in to see how her daily walk with the Lord makes her a target for condemnation and slander. 

I am considering buying the book she talks about in the article, Evidence Demands A Verdict, by Josh McDowell.  Why?  Because I want to be prepared to answer some pretty tough questions, should the need ever arise. 

And I think that we are at the point that we need to be prepared.  In the South, where we're still known as 'the Bible belt', we don't see quite as much adversary as people in the North.  (And yes, I do believe your location makes a difference.) 

I think that more and more issues are going to pop into our lives on a daily basis...and we as Christians need to be equipped to answer some of those questions. 

The only way to do that is to stay in the Word. 

Second Timothy 3:16 and 17 says that "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

Every 'good work'...sharing with others all about Jesus.  How He was born a man, and was the only perfect man to have ever walked this earth.  How He was innocent...yet died a sinner's death on a cross.  For us...so that we could live eternally with Him when we leave this earth behind.  How death could not keep Him...three days after His burial, He rose again.  And now He sits at the right hand of God the Father. 

He loves all of us.  No matter the sin we've committed, He loves us all the same.  Aren't you glad that you don't have to depend on yourself to get you by in this life?  I'm so thankful that I have One that I can look to for guidance, for wisdom...I trust Him.  Do you?

It's funny that my dad and I were talking about this very subject last Friday.  We laughed at a story he told me about the vacation they just got back from.  They met a nice waitress from Japan while they were in Montana (Oregon?  Wyoming?  It doesn't matter.).  Dad asked her if she had ever heard of Elvis. 

Then he thought, "ELVIS???  Shouldn't I have instead asked her if she knew JESUS?" 

It was funny to both of us.  (The girl had never heard of Elvis Presley, by the way.  Hopefully she has heard of Jesus.)

But it was sad to both of us, as well.  Why do we talk endlessly of some things and not nearly enough of the subjects that matter.  Like where we're going to spend our eternity.  I don't want any of my family and friends to be left behind...I want them all in Heaven with me.  I love them all so much...I don't want to think about them not being there. 

Dad and I agreed to pray for one another to be bold in our faith...bold, yet loving.  Some Christians come across as 'in your face', and I don't want to be like that.  I want to be kind, gentle, loving, yet firm in my faith and my beliefs.  Don't you?? 

I'm thinking that my dad's prayers are coming to fruition in me.  I pray that I always answer any question in love and kindness.  All for His glory...for His kingdom...so that all of my loved ones can be with me in our life eternal. 

Jonah and Noah talked about Heaven yesterday.  I love their simple, child-like beliefs.  You know we're called to be like children.  The Bible talks about the faith of a child...to me that means to just believe.  To know.  To trust.  To have faith in Him.  And He'll do all the rest.  Anyway, we talked about Heaven yesterday.  Noah wanted to know if we would see Sambo someday in Heaven.  I don't know if animals will be in Heaven, but I don't think so.  But I didn't say that to him...I told him that we might.  And we might...we really might.  I don't know anyone that's still alive that I can ask.  ;-)  We talked about angels that are all around us, and the streets of gold that Heaven will have. 

I love my life on this earth...I am blessed to be a wife and mom of some pretty amazing short people.  But when I think of Heaven and what it will be like reuniting with all those who've gone on before me...my heart gets all fluttery with excitement.  I cannot imagine the worship that will be taking place.  I cannot wait to see the glorified bodies of my precious God-fearing grandmothers, my grandfathers (one of whom I've never even met), my aunts, my uncles, my niece Ashley...

I want to be prepared.  Do you? 

Can I pray for you?  Or for a family member?  A friend? 

I would consider it an honor. 

I hope you have a blessed day.  Love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...