Thursday, June 2, 2011

Jesus, Sunshine and Movie Credits

I was going to write "booty shakin'" instead of "movie credits" in the title, but decided I should probably not do that in the same sentence that I say Jesus. 

Anyway. 

The sunshine part of the title was amazing today.  We swam.  And swam and swam and swam.  And talked and talked and talked.  I was honored to have the chance to talk to my 2 oldest sons about middle school and girls.  One kinda goes with the other.  Graham and Drew seem to be a little girl crazy right now, and while that is perfectly normal, I am trying to convince them that it would be better to just be friends with all the girls they know.  Instead of liking them all.  And calling them "pretty thangs" (Drew's words, not mine).  And thinking they want to ask one to be their girlfriend. 

Don't get me wrong...I am thrilled that they have a healthy appreciation for a pretty girl.  I just want them to realize the importance of being friends.  My friend Sharon is the one who gave me the idea for this talk.  She told her son (one of Graham's friends) that if he would just be friends with all these girls for these middle school years, by the time they reach the high school age (or the dating age, whichever comes first) they will automatically gravitate towards the ones they already know so well. 

I think it sounds great.  I'm just trying to convince them of it.  I don't want that to be the only thing they talk about and think about.  It can't be healthy. 

And yes.  I am a girl.  And have no understanding whatsoever of the male brain...except for what my husband and my 4 sons have taught me.  But to me, it sounds great.  I'm sure Todd will disagree. 

Anyway.  So that was the sunshine part. 

The Jesus part always comes first.  I love my morning quiet time.  My favorite thing in the world to do is to sit at my kitchen table with my Bible, my journal and a cup of coffee.  I'm such a nerd about this, too...I have a pen near me, and I usually pull out the pack of Sharpie highlighters that my sweet mom-in-love gave me in my Christmas stocking.  I love to sit and pray first...for the many things I pray for.  I always have the everyday stuff...but I always pray for my extended family during this time as well.  I have friends that I'm praying for, and I have special weekly things I pray for.  This week one of the things I prayed for was Royal Family Kids Camp that First Assembly is giving for some inner-city foster kids.  I know that these are the times that my friends are literally Jesus with skin on...they love on these sweet kids all week.  I know that God anoints this time, and He already has this week. 

So I pray, but then I listen.  This is my favorite part.  I love to write in my Bible, have I told you that?  I love to go back and see the verses I've highlighted.  I love to see what I've written alongside some of my very favorites.  I love that each time I read a verse, even though I might have read it a hundred other times, that God has the power to lead me right back to it.  And make it sound brand new.  I love the many God things He does in my life.  This morning was no exception.  I was lead right to a verse that I believe God led me to for a friend I'm praying for. 

The last part of the title is ahhhhhmazing!  Since my kids were little, we have loved family movie nights.  My very favorite thing about family movie night is the booty shakin' that takes place at the end!  They always save the best song in the movie for the first part of the credits, and we crank it up and shake what our mama's gave us!  Tonight was perfect. 

We watched Tangled, and danced our tails off at the end.  It was amazing.  I danced with all the boys, and was rewarded with a huge, random hug from Drew and an extra special "I love you" in sign language.  Those are few and far between, the older he gets.  He is still somewhat affectionate, but not as much as I'd like him to be.  That's why tonight was so special.  And he's the one that asked me to dance first. 

Yes, I love to dance.  Not at wedding receptions, but in the comfort of my own living room where no one can see me.  I would have to be majorly inebriated in order for me to dance in public.  And since that's not going to happen, I will continue to reserve those special occasions for my hubby and kids. 

Well.  The boys just headed upstairs for bed.  And you know what that means.  Glee is waiting for me.  :)  I haven't watched one episode since last night and I'm having withdrawals. 

Not really.  I had the perfect, most amazing day with some pretty awesome kids.  Otherwise known as Graham, Drew, Jonah and Noah.  And Nate the Great (Drew's best friend) for the while he was here.

Goodnight and love to all. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the advice about staying friends with girlz through middle school. Big boo just stayed friends with them...and truly he was best friends in 7 & 8th with a a couple of them. They wanted him to be in the middle of their drama and he refused. He would just listen and not take sides! He was very mature now that I look back on it! Hold on...because middle school flies by! I can't believe Boo will be a Sophomore in High School this year! He's hit 6;2...officially the same size as his Daddy!! I tried to tag the boys picture on your profile cuz I love it...and it wouldn't let me grab it! So tag me with it please. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know it works! The advice, I mean. Yeah, I thought about some of that drama and tried explaining that to them. I have always heard how fast middle school flies by. I cannot believe a whole year has already passed since Graham started middle school. I can't believe he's already that tall...insane, I tell you.

    Yes, I will tag you in that picture. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...