Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Happy Tuesday!

In reading one of the blogs that I love, Women Living Well, I came across some really great, inexpensive ways to thank a teacher.  To read the post, click here

Because, let's face it: where would be without our wonderful teachers?  God has richly blessed us with the most amazing teachers.  My boys and I have truly enjoyed each and every teacher that was placed in our path.  They have grown by leaps and bounds in their care. 

What makes a teacher a great teacher?

A smile.  It's priceless.
Someone who can make learning fun.
Someone they can easily talk to.
Someone who loves kids. 
Someone you catch being extra sweet when they don't know anyone is watching.
Someone who loves their job.  You can see it every single day.
Someone who challenges a child. 
Someone who builds them up.
Someone who listens quietly.
Someone who encourages.

These are just a few of my ideas on what makes a teacher so great.  We pray for all our teachers every single day.  For God to give them the strength they need, joy, and a peaceful day.  Sometimes that happens, sometimes it doesn't.  We have been blessed with some wonderful people we've come to know and love over the years.  Not only do my kids get attached, I become attached.  Once they get past first grade, though, it's different.  The higher the grade, the less you're needed as much.

I've been known to shed tears over saying goodbye on the last day of school.  I know...pitiful, right?  But the tears weren't just for saying the goodbye, they were also for another year gone by.  Time slips through our hands like sand, and the end of a school year is just one more last thing.  The last time Jonah and Noah will be in second grade.  The last time I'll see Drew's smiling face in the lunch room.  The last time Graham comes home and tells us something that Mr. Zoska told his class that day. 

Sigh. 

I almost get a little teary just writing it. 

I love our teachers.  Think back to when you were young.  What stood out in your mind?  I listed mine above, but the one thing that stood out the most was the approachability of a teacher.  Some I felt comfortable with, some I did not.  My kids have always had the kind of teacher they could approach. 

We've been blessed.  I thank God for all the teachers we've been fortunate enough to have had.  Why not take the time to say thank you?  They deserve this week and so much more...and sometimes the simpler the gift, the greater the impact.  Go to that link I posted above and check our her list...it's a great one.

On a completely different note, I'm taking Drew to the dentist this morning.  I normally take them all at the same time, but because it's been a year since their last cleaning, I had to take whatever appointment they had to offer.  Our dentist is amazing.  We dearly love him and his family...Todd has known them all his whole life.  Because he is so wonderful, he is nearly impossible to get into.  A great thing, right?

Anyway, so today is Drew's turn.  He'll be checking in late today.  The other ones have days coming up this month, too.  It is very difficult to schedule five appointments all at the same time.  Mine and theirs. 

Well, I guess I need to get off of here.  Kids are slowly trickling down the stairs.  I'm guessing they're ready to eat breakfast.  I hope you all have a wonderful day.  Love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...