Saturday, February 5, 2011

SSMT

What does it stand for, you wonder?  Siesta Scripture Memorization Team. 

What is a Siesta?  It's a term that Beth Moore's computer came up with.  When she started her Living Proof Ministries blog (click HERE to go to it), she wanted to think up a catchy name to call the women who read her blog.  She wanted them to be "Sista's", but when she typed that word, her spell check changed the word to "Siesta".  So that's what we are...and yes, some us do love our naps.  ;)

Back to SSMT...how does it work?  We are working on memorizing 24 Scriptures this year.  Two a month.  We pick our first verse on the first of the month, and the second verse we pick on the fifteenth.  You can pick your own verse, or you can read Beth's blog (and comments) and either go with what she's doing, or what someone else is doing. 

Who can do this?  Anybody that yearns for more of God...more of Him, more of His word, and the craving to have His word in our very souls.  I love to have His word pop into my brain at unexpected moments.  During a conflict earlier this week, I remembered the verse that I am currently memorizing.  The verse mentioned perfect peace, and it was exactly what I needed at that very moment. 

Coincidence?  I don't believe in them.  A God thing?  You got it. 

How do I remember the verses?  A few different ways.  I keep a SSMT spiral notebook in my kitchen.  I've written all the verses so far, and if something stands out in that verse, I write it on that page.  I wrote out the way Isaiah 26:3 helped me this week...and I dated it so that I would remember exactly the moment that the verse popped into my head.  Another way I remember is by looking at the notecards that I keep in my purse.  I had brightly colored index cards, so I punched holes in twelve of them (I'm using front and back), and bound them together with a ring that I bought from a teaching supply store forever ago.  One last thing is that I have made a note on my smart phone.  That way if I am somewhere with nothing but my keys and phone, I'll have Bible verses on my phone to go over in my mind. 

If you want to join me in this journey for 2011 it's not too late to start.  So far, there are literally thousands of women across the world doing this with Beth Moore.  God is raising up an army of women that are tied together by His living word, and I know He is going to move in huge ways because of this.  I have a group of friends who wanted to join me in this, so we are kind of holding each other accountable.  Some of us are local, some are not.  I love how we reach across states in this. 

If you're curious about the verses I've memorized so far, I'll write them out below.  Consider doing this with me!  God's word is the most powerful weapon we have.  His word is alive and sharper than a 2 edged sword, Hebrews 4:12 says.  When He is for us...who can be against us (Romans 8:31)?  The enemy does NOT want you to do this.  Do you dare? 

(1) James 1:17  All generous giving and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or the slightest hint of change.


(2) James 2:1  My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 


(3) Isaiah 26:3  You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in You.

No comments:

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...