Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tales From the Lunchroom

Catchy, isn't it?  I think that's what I'll title the book I'm someday going to write. 

*I've been told that I need to write a book.  Can I do it?  I'm sure I can do it with God's help and guidance, but what in the world would I ever write about?  Unless it's that little thing you call life.  If that's the case, the sky's the limit!*

I wonder if people ever wonder what their sweet little angels are doing while they eat lunch?  Would you like a few examples, for your reading pleasure?  It'll probably bring you a laugh or three. 

~I LOVE it when I go see what a student needs (who has had their hand up for three point two minutes), only to find out, "Oh.  I didn't need anything."  I especially loved it when I was in the walking boot for a few weeks.  ;)

~I also love when they tattle tale.  Really?  You're going to raise your hand among another 47 hands raised, just to tell me THAT?!  DO NOT TATTLE TALE TO ME!!!  I will not do anything about it. 

~It's always fun when you tell them not to goof off and eat their lunch, only to have them ignore you and spill chocolate milk all over themselves and their neighbor.  :)  And yes, this happened today, to a student in a grade old enough to know better.

~I have lots of time to make sure all of them are eating their lunch.  And all of it.  And not just dumping their sandwich in the trash and then telling you that they ate it, when in fact, they didn't.  I have been asked on numerous occasions (not by anyone I'm friends with, I assure you) to please make sure little Susie or little Johnny eats all of his/her lunch.  :)

~I love birthday cupcakes.  This doesn't even require me adding anything else to it, but in case you're wondering, here you go.  Some days, I am severely tempted to draw and then blow up to 85x43 (I know that's not a size, I'm being sarcastic here) a picture of a cupcake with 6 inches of BRIGHT BLUE ICING with a circle around it and a line through it, banning them from school.  Blue icing does not come off your hands or your teeth, it has to wear off, and I must say, it has the consistency of Crisco.  It's disgusting.  What do I recommend?  Not that anyone wants to know my opinion, or surely they would ask me!  I recommend cookies.  Either the frosted ones, or something like Chips Ahoy.  I've seen people send donuts, donut holes, packaged Little Debbie snacks, popsicles, little individual containers of ice cream, you name it.  I will even go as far to say as you are allowed to come hand it out yourself!  I could go on and on about this one, but I'll stop.

~I love when the teachers forget to let their kids stop at the restroom, and all 23 have to use it at the same time.

~It's always fun when you sign in 106 visitors in one day. 

~My favorite sound of all is the sound of a tray hitting the floor. 

~I love when parents come to eat with their sweet angel and their younger sibling sweet angel, and let them both run around the cafeteria like a chicken with their head cut off.  That one brings me warm squishies. 

~Another favorite sight is the sight of a child eating lunch with his/her mom or dad with their hand raised.  Really???  You have an adult on every side of you, and you can't ask them?!?!?! 

I think I'll stop now.  I think these things are hilarious.  And probably the reasons why some of you would never come work with me in there!  As sarcastic as I sound, I really do love what I do.  And I have lots of laughs (most days, anyway) over their antics.  There is some frustration that comes with this job, but what job is frustration-free?  Maybe now you see why I am such a prayed up woman!  Lol...not really.  I would be prayed up, anyway.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

a day in the life post on a Tuesday

  Happy Tuesday, friends! I'm taking notes from Joanne and Maria ; I decided to write my version of a day in the life post. This will h...