Saturday, July 24, 2010

Thoughts on School

It's been a really good week.  After this weekend, we are officially on countdown mode until school resumes.  This year I have very mixed emotions.  Part of me is really excited to be getting back into the swing of things.  I am excited about seeing all "my" school kids.  I've seen several over the summer, and I realize that I've missed them!  I'm also sad...because it'll be back to the real world.  I love spending the days with my boys all at my side, so I always dread sending them off.

However, they love school.  They love all of it.  The social aspect, the privileges they have that go along with being in a public school (like the amazingly updated technology they have at their fingertips), they love having so many friends to pick and choose from, they love the extra's (art, music, gym, library), and they love their teachers.  We've been blessed every single year with amazing, Christian women as teachers.  Isn't that a God thing?!

So with all this being said, you see why I have mixed emotions.  Especially because Graham is going to the middle school.  I have covered this child in prayer this summer.  He admitted to me yesterday that he is a little nervous.  When I asked why, he said it was because of how big the campus is.  I was able to reassure him that while it is big, all of 6th grade is in one building.  The only times he'll leave that building are if he needs to go to the office for something, for gym and for band.  The gym is just right across the bus lane and the band room is down the breezeway on the way to the office.

If you're the praying kind, will you help me pray for him?  I am praying that God will replace all of his fears with confidence, and that He will bring some amazing friends across his path this year.  He has been burned by some friends.  He has lots of acquaintances that could possibly turn into good friends, though.  That's what I'm praying will happen.  One of his friends held a 6th grade co-ed Bible study at his house over this summer, and Graham has gone to most of them.  I'm praying those will be the kids he sticks with.  He's also about to be going to some jr. high youth group functions at a local church near us.  I'm excited about him meeting even more good, quality kids. 

I am really praying that God will bless him with a best friend at school this year.  He has a best friend, Drew Coleman, but he needs one at school as well.  I pray that God will make Graham the kind of friend to others that he needs in his life.  I don't know why he struggles in this area.  My dad says it's because he's so good at so many things.  He's in the accelerated classes at school, he's a good musician, he's sociable, he's good at any sport he tries and he's the kid that teachers love.  He has a magnetic personality-if you're an adult.  Unfortunately, kids don't agree.  And please don't think I'm bragging...because if I could take all that away so that he would be the kid that every other kid loved, I'd do it.

But God is teaching me something through this.  He's teaching me that it's okay to be the one that stands out.  Not in a bad way, necessarily, but in just a different way.  Graham genuinely loves adults, and he told me over the summer that one of his favorite things about starting school is learning about his teachers.  He enjoys getting to know them, and he considers them not only his teachers, but someone that he can be friends with.  I think his 5th grade teacher this past year might have spoiled him in this department.  She brought her personal life into school and made each of her students a vital part.  He loved her, and he loved getting to know her.

I think that God has big plans in store for Graham this year.  I'm believing it, and I'm trusting Him to take care of him this year.  I think that He could possibly be setting Graham up to be able to minister to someone this year.  Because we all know that God uses the unlikely ones.  Look at David in the Bible.  All of his older, taller, stronger brothers were passed up, but God wanted HIM.  I'm claiming that for Graham in the sweet name of Jesus.

So, I didn't mean for this whole blog to be about Graham, but God has laid it on my heart.  Maybe so I can share it with all of you so you all can help me pray about this.  I covet your prayers in this area.  Especially now that I know that he's nervous.  Will you join me? What about you?  Is there anything that you have in your life that I can pray with you about?  If you don't want to share on here, email me at allboys@gmail.com.

I hope you all have a blessed weekend.  I'm spending the day with Mom again.  I have an unexpected day away from the kids.  Todd took them all to his friend's farm to do some car stuff.  And to probably ride some 4wheelers.  They were so excited as they left here this morning.

Well, have a blessed day.  Love to all.

5 comments:

Phyllis said...

You made me cry again, talking about my first grandchild. I still can't believe that he is old enough for middle school. He is a very special boy and you know that I do pray for him (and all of them) daily. I am believing with you that he will have great teachers, a very good best friend and that he can be a witness in the middle school to kids who are hurting or just need Jesus in their hearts.

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Thanks. I didn't mean to make you cry. It upsets me (b/c I'm his mom) that he doesn't make friends easily. We watched a great movie last night...The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry...that kinda broached this topic. I think it might have struck a chord with him. The movie was about 3 boys who learned to share their faith with anyone they came in contact with, unabashedly. I noticed that Graham was drinking in the entire movie. As me and my dad sat and cried together. :) Lol

Staci said...

Jennifer - he will do awesome! As you said he is a great all around kid! I know I haven't been around him in a while...but he was always a GREAT friend to his buddies in Kindergarten and definitely a student that a teacher can rely on!

By the way....ummm...maybe I wish I was one of those older teachers back then......


:)

Jennifer Goodwin said...

You know, I thought of that after I wrote it and thought that it's not really a true statement. I can appreciate ANY teacher whose heart is in teaching...and yours always was! I know of some that this is not the case for...but we've never had any of them! Forgive me, please!!! I didn't mean you! Or any of the ones we've had so far!

Staci said...

Ha! I'm just playin'!
Hang in there! He will do great - no doubt!
:)

Good Friday Favorites, 3.29.2024.

  Happy Good Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week...