Monday, July 5, 2010

my kids are growing up

Noah used to hate fireworks.  Even until last year.  He used to hate them so bad that we had to borrow Big Daddy's ear things he wears on the tractor.  I thought about this Saturday night as we sat directly under the Ville's annual firework show.  Heck, they scared the daylights out of ME because we were so close.  But him?  Nope.  He was fine.  Except for that one time when a spark landed really close to us, he jumped up and ran over beside us.  But other than that, he was fine.


See?  He's fine.  Even lighting them all by himself this year!  Drastic improvement over the last seven years.  I wondered this time last year if he would ever get over the fear of the fireworks.  He would always run inside when we shot them, and Nana would go inside with him and keep him company.  :(  I hate when they grow up.  Kinda.  I'm also kinda happy b/c of all their new-found independence.

I know.  I'm confused.

We had the best day yesterday.  I had the honor of helping lead worship yesterday morning at church (my favorite thing to do!), then Todd and I got to share in the Families on the Rock class about our trip to Iceland.  Talking about it brought back loads of good memories, and it got me excited about next year.  And whether or not it will be in God's will for us to go back.  :)  Because I REALLY hope that it is.  In His will, I mean. 

After church we came home to let Andy the WonderDog out and to change, then we headed to Nana's and Big Daddy's.  We ate the most delicious meal EVER.  They made 2 kinds of ribs, potato salad, slaw, baked beans, homemade angel biscuits, corn that my mom forgot to cook until later, homemade oreos and homemade banana icecream.

Sweet Mama, I get hungry just thinking about it.

It was so good that we had the exact same thing again last night...along with the corn that Mom forgot to cook, fresh butter beans and fresh boiled okra.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It was sooooo good.  Ridiculously so.

We talked and laughed and napped and ate and ate and ate.  And the kids swam and shot fireworks.  With the 2 older kids that joined in.  Todd and Big Daddy.

It was one of those magical days that we will remember for a very long time to come.

I hope all of you had a wonderful, happy, blessed 4th.  I know we sure did.








3 comments:

Debi said...

OK...I know it's summertime...but where is all of my boys hair? I'm gonna put a hurtin on Todd!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm confused too. Love that my boys are growing up and hate it at the same time. I feel cold looking at the boys in the pool in the middle of winter. :)

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Debi, their hair is fine!!! It was my idea to buzz them-this is what all their friends have done this summer, believe me, if they had hair, they'd be the oddballs! That's 2 weeks growth, by the way.

That's right, Jo! It is winter on your side of the world!! That's okay, you can get me back by putting up pics of your kids when it's your summertime!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...