Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day

I don't want our kids to think that this is just one other day off from school.  I want them to know the meaning of this day and why we take time off to honor those who fought for our freedom.  I want them to be able to look back and remember, years from now, that day they spent with Pappaw.  And what war he fought in.  And what branch of the military.  And exactly what he did.

Because my blood runs not just red...but red, white and blue.

So this is where we spent our morning.


My dad asked us to go with him to this Memorial day service.  So I accepted.  Because I want my kids to remember those who have lost their lives for us.  For our freedom.

As Trish and my dad were walking along a row in the cemetery, they came across a tombstone of someone that we once knew.  My pastor when I was a young girl.  A husband, a father, a grandfather, a brother, an uncle, a friend.  A veteran.  Of World War II.


The man I wanted to marry Todd and me.  The same one who said no that he wouldn't...because age was kicking in, and he didn't quite trust himself anymore.  And then died a couple years later.

A man who was a good friend to my dad.  Someone my dad looked up to.  Someone he got choked up over today, stumbling upon his grave.


It was a good day.  Tears.  Laughter.  Moments of silence and prayer for those who have lost loved ones.  Moments of gratitude from this mom of 4 boys.  Because of those here, in this cemetery, my boys have freedom.  Of speech.  Of religion.


I'm thankful that they care about who these graves belong to.  I love that sweet Noah, bent over in this picture,  is intently studying the words on this grave that brought my sister and I to tears.



I love that these 2 men who mean the most to me in the world, share my thoughts on patriotism.  And what it means to be free.  And what it means to take time out of a perfect day, to stop and pay our respect to those who are no longer living.


It brings tears to my eyes.

I hope to continue this tradition for many years to come.  Years later when these boys are much older, and this day was a fond one for them to look back on.


Happy Memorial day. 

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

I love this. You are very special to train your sons, my grandsons, to honor, love and respect the way you do!!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...