Sunday, April 26, 2009

Which One Are You? Which One Is Your Spouse?

If you only ever buy one book in your entire life, it needs to be the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I heard one time {a million times?} that you should love your spouse the way he wants to be loved, and vice versa. For example, my husband likes funny cards. I like the sappy, romantic kind. So, in order to compromise, we buy each other both kinds almost every time we have an occasion for buying cards. If you love your spouse the way you want to be loved, they don't get it. In what ways does your spouse most appreciate the way you show your love? Read an excerpt from the book The 5 Love Languages and find out...{I got this in a marriage devotion I get every morning}.

The Five Love Languages

• WORDS OF AFFIRMATION Compliments, words of encouragement,
and requests rather than demands affirm the self-worth
of your spouse.

• QUALITY TIME Spending quality time together through
sharing, listening, and participating in joint
meaningful activities communicates that we
truly care for and enjoy each other.

• RECEIVING GIFTS Gifts are tangible symbols of love,
whether they are items you purchased or made or are
merely your own presence made available to your spouse.
Gifts demonstrate that you care, and they represent
the value of the relationship.

• ACTS OF SERVICE Criticism of your spouse's failure to
do things for you may be an indication that
"acts of service" is your primary love language.
Acts of service should never be coerced but should be
freely given, and completed as requested.

• PHYSICAL TOUCH Physical touch, as a gesture of love,
reaches to the depths of our being. As a love language,
it is a powerful form of communication -- from the
smallest touch on the shoulder to the most passionate kiss.

In the book, you write down your answers and tally the score. I actually tied with 2 of these, which is common. It is a really great book, one that I highly recommend. I hope you all have an amazing Sunday, doing whatever you do. I am going to church and am ready to sing my little heart out in praise to my King. Love to all.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

ooh. love the new background. too cute!

i love that book. i'm re-reading the 5 love languages of children right now. it would be perfect for you since your boys are older.

me: time/gifts
dave: affirmation/physical touch

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Thank you! I saw the kids one in the store not too long ago, I need to buy it. Thanks for the recommendation!

I am quality time/words of affirmation, Todd is physical touch/quality time. Interesting. I guess we need that time together since we get so little of it!!!

Good Friday Favorites, 3.29.2024.

  Happy Good Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week...