Friday, December 19, 2008

Why Christmas Is Magical To Me

Why Christmas Is Magical To Me

1. The birth of Jesus. Santa Clause totally aside, Jesus' birth is the most magical, special, thrilling thing ever to have taken place. That God chose Mary, who said "Lord, let it be unto me as You have said", who was betrothed to Joseph (not many men would have stood by her side), to be the parents of Jesus Christ. How much more humble can it get? God knew what He was doing all those years ago, and it still rings true today. Whether this Christmas is the best or the worst, God has a plan in it all, it's just up to us to step aside and trust Him. I love the image in my mind of what it must have been like to see that bright star suddenly light up and fill the whole sky. It makes me wonder: do I have the Lord in such a place that He fills all of me?


2. Our church family and the body of believers who are our family and friends. This is what God intended; for us to belong to a body of believers with whom we could fellowship. In so many ways, the church is as much our family as our real family is. The church being all it's people, not the building itself. There is something so incredibly special about belonging to a church for years at a time. I love the saying, 'You will never find that perfect church. If you do, you'll mess it up by going to it.' It's so true. Our church is amazing, but trust me, there are faults to be found. None of that matters, though. We believe what our church teaches, it's Bible based, and we know that denomination doesn't matter...as long as we have asked Jesus to be in our hearts, believe in Him, and confessed and asked forgiveness of our sin...that we will all reside in Heaven someday together! These people within our church know every little nook and cranny of our lives. We are not private people. We lay it all out right there, for everyone to see and to be a part of. We're emotional, loving, feeling, sharing people, Todd and I, and there's something so freeing about people knowing all these little details about our lives and STILL loving us. It's amazing. And if you're reading this, and you don't have that in your life, I encourage you to either get more involved and SERVE TOGETHER with your church, or just come to church for the first time. If you don't have one, come to ours. I'll even skip choir and come sit beside you. Wherever you go, I just pray that you find 'your spot'. We all have one.

3. The kids! I am totally reliving my childhood through my boys and I love it. My heart was racing this morning as I dropped them off for their LAST DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS BREAK!!! I may seriously be more excited than them!!! Not really, but they were all looking at me like, "Mom, chill." I think I embarrassed them. I love all our little quirky traditions. For us, this whole month is all about FAMILY and doing all we can with them. It starts the day of Thanksgiving, and goes right up until the night before they return to school. We go to their houses (hopefully more than once before the BIG DAY), we go to Zoo Lights, the parade, the town Christmas tree lighting, we always to go some sort of Christmas village for them to participate in, we drive around and find our favorite Christmas lights, the list is endless. These years are precious that we have while our children are little, and before we know it the day will come when they don't want to do this kind of stuff anymore. I am dreading those days, but Todd and I will probably continue right along. Hopefully they'll just want to add their friends/girlfriends to the mix. The more the merrier is my life's motto.

4. CHRISTMAS MUSIC! I haven't listened to it that much this year. But I have a song in my head at all times. I think my favorite is O Holy Night. It holds a close tie with Little Drummer Boy. Just precious, I tell you. I am constantly singing or humming one of these beautiful songs. Also, and this kind of goes along with the music, I love Christmas movies! I've recorded like ten so far, and am trying to watch them all before Christmas! Drew and I watched a couple yesterday when he was home sick. I love the Family channel and the Hallmark channel. The family channel has the 25 days of Christmas, which is just amazing! Thank the Lord for digital video recorders!!! I don't know what we ever did without it! Even Todd watches them with me...if I twist his arm hard enough!

Well, I am out of time. I could add more, but I'll leave you hanging. Happy FRIDAY!!!! And love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

a day in the life post on a Tuesday

  Happy Tuesday, friends! I'm taking notes from Joanne and Maria ; I decided to write my version of a day in the life post. This will h...