Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Time

As I stood in an hour and a half line on Thursday afternoon to early vote, I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride for this nation that I live in. What an honor to be able to live here and have a voice that matters! Because THAT is what presidential elections are all about. I have always thought that you only have the right to complain about our nation's leader if you vote~if you don't vote, then shut up. You gave up your right to complain on the day you decided not to wait in that long line to vote. What is more important than where we live? Tomorrow as you face those long long long lines, take that time to pray for our nation. Take a book, take the Bible, but VOTE. If you are honored enough to be able to call yourself an American, then VOTE.

I voted on Thursday, and trust me, that line was daunting. But I felt honored to be able to stand there and participate. It's all in how you look at the situation~remember that tomorrow. Our nation has never seen an election like this, and we may or not ever see one like this again. We are actually living and breathing history right now. Some day our kids will be able to say, "Hey, I remember that election! That was a turning point for our country!" I believe this will be a turning point. No matter who wins.

I have put all my trust in the sovereign Lord Almighty. HE IS THE ONLY ONE WE SHOULD PUT OUR HOPE IN~this is God's word reminding us of this:

Ephesians 1:19~22 I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God's power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power (20) that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God's right hand in the heavenly realms. (21) Now he is far above any ruler of authority or power or leader of anything else~not only in this world but also in the world to come. (22) God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church.

No matter what happens tomorrow~God is in control. He has planned this, He knows the outcome, and He has a plan in this. Will you join me in praying? I am thinking of fasting tomorrow as well, and using that time that I would spend eating in prayer over our country.

Dear Heavenly Father,
You know what tomorrow holds for us. You know the person who is going to take over the leadership of our country, and I pray for peace for the rest of us left wondering who it will be. Lord, remind us of the fact that YOU have us in Your hands~us individually, but also our nation as a whole. You are in control of all things, and I pray that You will give us peace that surpasses all understanding, just as Your Word promises.

Lord, thank You for this country that we live in. Thank You for the men who have previously led our country. Thank You for choosing them at that appointed time to be our leader. Thank You for President Bush as he ends his eight year stint as our president. Lord, thank You for his family~his wife and daughters, and for keeping them safe. He withstood media raging against him at all times~only with Your strength, so thank You for the strength You gave him when he most needed it.

I pray for the men involved in this election tomorrow, Lord. I pray that nothing about tomorrow will be about one single man running for president, but that tomorrow will be all about You, and what You are going to do. Lord, I pray for safety of the candidates and safety for their families. I pray that these men and woman will see and feel your Holy Spirit all around them tomorrow. Give them peace as tomorrow plays out, Lord. I especially pray for their families, Lord. Help them to be supportive of them, Father God. I pray that You will be near to them, Lord, even if they don't serve You. May Your name be glorified above all other names. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

3 comments:

Phyllis said...

That is awesome! I agree with you 100%. I am praying many times a day for our country and know that God is in control. Thank you for the wonderful prayer you prayed.
I love you!!!

Christa said...

Jennifer this is beautiful! I felt led to fast today too. Tonight we will definately spend a significant amount of time praying at the bible study. I will miss you!!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

I will miss y'all too. Tell everyone I said hello~love you!!!

Good Friday Favorites, 3.29.2024.

  Happy Good Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week...