Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday

I am so bummed that I am at home sick and my family is at church.  I hate missing church.  My week seems to be awful when I do, but I really felt like I just needed to stay home and rest and try to get over whatever junk seems to be settling in me again.  I am praying I'll feel better tomorrow.  I really do not want to have to call in sick.  I have seen what being shorthanded is like, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  Really.  

I may not be at church today, but I have had some quality time with the Lord this morning!  I have had devotion, and sat and read the Bible and prayed for a long time.  It was a really nice quiet time, one that usually doesn't happen.  I cannot ever seem to find quiet long enough to do this.  If I do it early in the morning, I'm usually falling asleep while I do it, and that is no way to read the Bible.  I asked God to help me find my best time of day...and commit some time to Him.  My life is so much better when I do....I'm calmer, in a better mood, a better wife and mom, this list could go on.  

I read the book of Ephesians this morning.  I love the New Living Translation!  This is a beautiful translation of the Bible...it just flows so nicely, and it's so easy to read.  I've always been an NIV fan, but I like NLT more now.  I picked out a new Bible for Christmas in fact!  My dad and I went to Lifeway one Friday and picked out Bibles for the boys from them for Christmas, and I got one too!  I love new Bibles....the one that I picked out is called The Sanctuary.  It's turquoise and brown~my favorite colors~and there's a strip of brown leather in the middle.  The turquoise part is fabric.  It's really quite pretty.  I can't wait to get it!

Anyway, I read out of the NLT this morning, and here are some verses that stuck out:

Ephesians 1:19~22 I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God's power for us who believe him.  This is the same mighty power (20) that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God's right hand in the heavenly realms.  (21) Now he is far above any ruler of authority or power of leader of anything else~not only in this world but also in the world to come. (22) God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church. 

This passage reminded me of our nation...the election is only 9 days away, and this is all that the media is talking about.  I for one am tired of hearing about it all....God knows who is going to win, and no matter who it is, we'll have to rely on Him for strength during this time.  Even if it's not the one we vote for.  All things are planned by Him (Jeremiah 29:11) and all things will work out for the good of those who love Him (can't remember that reference, or else I'd put it).  We just have to trust and believe and have faith that GOD IS IN CONTROL.  

This next one was one that I took advantage of immediately about our country and the state that we're in...

Eph. 3:12 Because of Christ and our faith in him, we can now come boldly and confidently into God's presence.  

We should all remember this in the next 9 days about who God wants as the leader of our country.  This next verse also applies...

Eph. 3:16 &17 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit.  (17) Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him.  Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.  

Will you join me in praying for our country over these next days?  We are so blessed to live in a country such as this one, and even though we've taken God out of everything, He still longs for us to love and serve Him.  I am reminded of the Israelites...these were God's chosen people, and though they repeatedly turned their backs on Him, still He loved them.  God has had mercy on us so many times already, I can't help but keep praying that once again, He'll have mercy on our us. 

No comments:

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...