Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lesson from God

I am facing a day today that I've dreaded since Tuesday. I know I will be tested repeatedly today on patience. So this morning, in my quiet time, I prayed that God would give me a word for this day. I kid you not, when I opened up my morning devotion book, Journey, today's lesson was titled, "One At A Time". The main verse today was Proverbs 16:32 "Patience is better than power, and controlling one's temper, than capturing a city."

The story was about a lady keeping her patience in a certain circumstance. It gave several Scriptural references regarding patience: Proverbs 14:29 says "people with understanding control their anger; a hot temper shows great foolishness." And Proverbs 19:11 says, "Sensible people control their temper; they earn respect by overlooking wrongs." Do you think God is telling me something for today? Something I can claim for myself today? I do! He is so good...and He has a good sense of humor, too! I'd imagine He's up there saying, "Well, you asked for a word from Me, and you got it, child! Now go and act on it!"

The devotion went on and gave the definition of patience: there were three, but one of them stuck out from the rest...patience is defined as "quiet, steady, perseverance, even tempered care". Now if I didn't hear Him before, I certain did when I read that. I get it, I get it!! Really I do...and I realize I am called to "love them like Jesus", according to a certain Casting Crowns song that I like. I am to be His hands, His feet, His arms reaching out in love...all in His name.

I will remember this today as I face my day...I will love and I will be patient, and if I'm not, I will reflect on one of these Scriptures that I am about to commit to my memory...which is my newest pasttime. It's appalling at how bad my memory has gotten...I am starting Scripture memorization and I had the hardest time memorizing only 3 yesterday! I think I got a little over zealous, so today I'm going to memorize only 1...and I assure you, it will be one on patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I can't believe it's already this day in the week. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was getting ready ...