Monday, June 9, 2008

Epic

This is the title of the new Bible study I am participating in. I am VERY excited about this! Epic is written by John Eldredge, and if you can't do a group study, it's a great one to do on your own. The book and the guide are $3 each, so it's also very affordable. And, no, I am not being paid to endorse it. I wish.

Epic is about our life story. It opens up to where we think time began...Gen. 1:1, right? In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Wrong!

That was when creation began. God existed before creation began! In John 1:1, Scripture reads: In the beginning was the Word, and Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning.

The point of the whole Bible story is figuring out where we come in. In which scene do we enter? He shows us that through the beginning of time, through God, our story has begun. In our small group tonight, we talked about our testimonies. That's a word I don't care for, but all it is is the story of how we got to where we are right now. We all have a story, and it's been planned since the beginning of time. God has invited us into this story of our life, and how we live, and what we do should make us ponder one question: am I living in God's will? Is all that I'm doing glorifying God, the Author and Creator of life?

I have only done Beth Moore Bible studies, so this is a refreshing twist. John Eldredge is great at painting word pictures, it's obvious that he knows a lot about, or majored in literature. He has a way of using a great epic movie, or book, and twisting it around to make us see that our lives are similar. There's always a beginning, an end, a plot, lots of characters and plots, and somewhere along the way, evil. What we do with our lives determines our future, and if we use our life to please God, we'll have the happily ever after most of us desire.

Even if you don't do the study, I strongly encourage you to read the book. But it makes GREAT topics for small group studies, as well, and one that men AND women would enjoy. Alright, I'll stop. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...