Sunday, February 17, 2008

Thought For The Day

I am wrapping up my week in the Bible study I'm doing, and tonight's homework caused some serious contemplation. I love lessons like that! I usually "get it" after stopping and reading it again. The lesson was about the Israelites marching to Jerusalem after their return from exile, and their attitude was one of disbelief...pure joy. It was taken from Psalm 126. I like how the Message Bible said it best:

1 A Pilgrim song It seemed like a dream, too good to be true, when God returned Zion's exiles. 2 We laughed, we sang, we couldn't believe our good fortune. We were the talk of the nations-"God was wonderful to them!" 3 God was wonderful to us; we are one happy people. 4 And now, God, do it again-bring rains to our drought~stricken lives 5 so those who planted their crops in despair will shout hurrahs at the harvest, 6 so those who went off with heavy hearts will come home laughing, with armloads of blessing.

Isn't that beautiful? I have prayed so many times for God to "bring rain" to my drought~stricken life, to our church and its leaders, to our country and its leaders, in so many other areas, almost too many to mention.

In this reference, the returning exiles were thinking back to good times, and praying for God to bring those times again. I have been on both sides...in the good times, and waiting for God to get me out of a trying area in life. I can say that in all those times of trial, I have ended much stronger in my faith, and in my relationship with my Creator.

I love that last verse...6 "so those who went off with heavy hearts will come home laughing, with armloads of blessing." Armloads of blessing. Isn't that something?!?! How many of us have armloads of blessings? I know I do. I know I have also taken those blessings for granted. It's amazing how kind God is....He loves us, definitely, but He CHOOSES each and everything for us alone. We are truly His children, and just like we parent our kids and want the best for them, He desires that for us. Wherever we may be in life, rest assured that God alone knows the outcome, and though we don't know what that is, He does. "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you, and not to harm you." He allows us to go through trials so we will depend more fully upon Him. On Him alone. No one else will support you like Him, and I don't ever want to look elsewhere.

I hope your weekend was good, and that your Monday is even better. Let's look for and focus on our armloads of blessings this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

What's Up Wednesday

  Happy Wednesday, friends! I'm joining in with  Sheaffer  and  Shay  for today's blog post. I'm going to jump right in, and the...