Wednesday, January 18, 2023

the one necessary thing

 


 While they were traveling, he entered a village, and a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who also sat at the Lord's feet and was listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks, and she came and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to serve alone? So tell her to give me a hand." The Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has made the right choice, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:38-42


Do you know this story? Do you relate with it today? Are you more like Martha, or are you like Mary? 


If I'm answering the same question honestly, I'll confess that I have major Martha like tendencies. I would say that most women are like this, especially if you're a wife and mom, whether to younger people, pets, or your own kids. Poor Martha gets a bad rap! After all, someone has to do all the work, right? And I am like that on most days. But when I read this story from the book of Luke, I know I'm supposed to choose the one necessary thing instead, and I'm supposed to be more like Mary, choosing Jesus over everything. Some days I am like her, like today, when I'm home in the morning and don't have anywhere to be until after noon. I have extra time to read God's word, to write out my thoughts on what I just read, and to pray through it all. But life happens, and I'm often more like Martha.


I remember hearing a teacher speak on this passage once before, Lisa Chan (wife of Francis), who said it like this: Even though the Lord was gentle in His answer to Martha, He still answered in a way that only He could. He even said her name twice, because once wasn't enough! It was like He was shaking His head in dismay at her while saying, "Martha...Martha...", as if He were her Daddy gently chiding her. 


But isn't He just like that? God is our Abba Father, for those of us who are Christian and who profess that Jesus is our Savior. Abba is a word that is closely related to our English word, "daddy". It's a very familiar, intimate word, and it's one that we can call Him because He is our Abba Father.


Martha was distracted by her many tasks. Often times, so am I. Mary chose the one necessary thing, which was spending time with Jesus and sitting at His feet. It's true today, for those of us who are Christians. When we don't spend time with Jesus regularly, we feel far apart from Him and we are distracted by our many tasks. The opposite is also true! When we choose to spend time with Him regularly, we feel His presence near. 


Do you know my Jesus? I'd love to talk to you more, if not. If you want to "talk" more privately than the comments section of this blog post, feel free to email me at allboys@gmail.com. I would love to talk you about Him! ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today and that a few of you link up each week. Do you practice thankfulness all w...