Tuesday, January 31, 2023

books I read in January (1.31.23)

 



Happy Tuesday, friends! I'm so excited about today's post! I read some great books this month. I'd love for you to leave me some recommendations at the end of this post in the comments, if you have them. I will say that I am definitely on a nonfiction kick right now, but I like fiction at night. I am always looking for a new book to read and can't wait to hear what you suggest. (Click on each picture and you'll be directed to Amazon.)


I'll jump right in with the first two books. 


I'm starting with these because they will be ongoing for the year and for an undetermined amount of time, since they're both for my morning quiet time. One will be a year long, but the other will be as long as it takes me to get through the book of Psalms in the Bible. 


1. First up is this amazing devotional by Bob Goff, Live in Grace Walk in Love. I have mentioned this book a dozen times already this month, at least. I can't tell you how relevant this is for my life right now as I prepare to go love on little kids everyday with my new job. I open it up each morning and that day is always exactly what I need to hear as a reminder from the Lord. 



⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I'm giving it five stars, because each day has been exceptionally good. Everyday there is a Scripture for the day and something to read by Bob Goff pertaining to the Scripture for the day. I usually read the passage in context, or between subtitles in my Bible to help me know exactly what is going on for the place where I'm reading. Even though I'm not finished, I'm giving it five starts, because Bob Goff is wonderfully loving, practical, and highly relatable man of God. I love his personality, which shines through the pages of this book. You should buy it and read it for yourself.  


2. Second on my list is Sing a New Song by Lydia Brownback.



⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I am reading through the book of Psalms slowly in my quiet time each morning, and journaling thoughts as I read. After I do that, and read it several times, I read a page in this book, which gives insight into each chapter in Psalm. This is such a great book! It's appealing to me because I love to sing, and it's a lyrical book. (These first two books I linked are in physical book form, but the rest will be for your electronic device, which is what I use the majority of the time.) 


3. Next up was a book by Angela Thomas (now Pharr), titled 52 Things Sons Need from Their Moms.



⭐⭐⭐ & 1/2


This was a really good book for moms with sons of all ages. I will say, most of it is geared for moms of younger sons than what I have, but it was still full of wisdom and insight. She talked about things like making the right priorities, teaching them what is important, and leading by example. There's a version of the same book for moms with daughters. 


4. Next is a book called When You Don't Know what to Say: Words of Caring for All Occasions by Discovery House Publishers. 



⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

This book was EXCELLENT. I am faced with situations all the time when I don't have words to say to someone. I took notes as I read this and have referred back to it several times already, and it's January 10th, when I started writing this post. There are words for every occasion—birthdays, holidays, marriage, births, deaths of loved ones, new neighbors—you name it, it's there. I highly recommend this book if you're a friend to anyone. 



⭐⭐⭐

5. I loved reading about Billy Graham's exceptional life, and while I loved the concept of this book, the actual writing left a lot to be desired. I am struggling with my 3 star rating, because I loved the parts about Billy! I just really didn't love how it went on and on unnecessarily. Have you read anything about Billy Graham before? He was an incredible man and even in death, he made it known to the world that he loved people almost as much as he loved the Lord and his family. The coffin he chose to be buried in was one made by people who were part of a work program in prison. They had served their time and were working on skills to be able to make it in life after their sentences. I love that even in his death, his life spoke into people about the love of Jesus and Billy's love for people. I want to be like him with my own life. 


6. Next up was a new author for me! I read Set on You by Amy Lea.


⭐⭐⭐⭐


Like I said already, this was a new author to me, and I really liked the book. It's about a curvy girl with thousands of followers on Instagram. She's an influencer for workout inspiration and videos that encourage everyone to love themselves just as they are...and after she meets a cute guy at the gym, she starts to realize some things about herself that aren't the healthiest, none of which have to do with looks. I really liked this book for several reasons: first, it was laugh out loud funny; secondly, it was inspiring to me and true in how we view ourselves; lastly, who doesn't love a good romance? It did not get five starts from me only because of language and some scenes that were steamier than they needed to be and I can do without that in a book. I'll try another book by this author, because her writing pulled me in immediately and I really enjoyed it overall. 


7. Last, but not least, is one by an author I love.



Katherine Center never disappoints! I was talking about her books with a friend from work last week and we agreed that she's always a favorite because we know all of her books are phenomenal. The book starts out a tiny bit slow as she fills in some information for us with a little backstory of the main character, but it quickly takes off from there. One reason I love books by Katherine Center is because she's funny, engaging, and she "speaks" to us through her characters as if we're there sitting beside her. I think because of that last reason, it feels like I've been talking to a friend after I've read one of her books. This book had all the great things that I love in a book—wit, humor, chemistry, banter between the characters, humor (I know, I mentioned that twice). I think that if you've not read either this book or any book by her, that you should add her to your list of books to be read soon. 


I prefer to read on my Kindle these days, so the links that take you to Amazon are for books to be purchased for that device. I use Kindle Unlimited to read books for free or for very inexpensive, though I do sometimes pay full price for the new books of my favorite authors. I also like to borrow books through the Libby app that is connected to my library card. Before I started reading on a Kindle, I would frequent the library or one of my favorite used book resources, Thrift Books, where the books are cheap and the shipping is free. 


I'd love to hear from you now! What have read lately that you loved? I'd love to hear some of your book recs. Thanks for reading my blog, friends! Love to all. 🖤







12 comments:

Holly said...

Great collection- thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

You're welcome, Holly! 🖤

Debbie said...

I have developed a rhythm with reading, where I read a Biography (my favorite), then a fiction, then maybe a non-fiction and in between I will catch up with my magazines (which I wrote about today).

The last book I read was They Call Her Dirty Sally and it was SOOOO GOOD! There have only been 3 books in my life that I wanted to go on and never end and this was one of them. I wanted to know more and would have moved right into the sequel if it existed.

Right now I'm waiting on Jinger (Duggar) Vuolo's new book to arrive. It's going to be a good one.

Cathy said...

I have seen a couple of movies about Billy Graham's life. He was a wise man! I may have to check this book out.

Jennifer White said...

I have The Bodyguard on my TBR list...I love the "types of readers" graphic. so true!

Tanya said...

I'm really interested in the Bob Goff book. I just posted my books for January, and my fave book was A Quiet Life. Stay Warm!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

I love that rhythm you've gotten into, Debbie. I do that same kind of thing, or at least, I am doing that this year. Because I've been reading so much of nonfiction, I need lighter and fluffy content to read before I fall to sleep The book you read sounds good! I need to catch up on my blog reading- yours included! I want to read Jinger's Vuolo's book too. I love her and Jeremy!

Jennifer Goodwin said...

I loved reading about his life, Cathy. You should read the book! I borrowed mine from our library.

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Jen, it was so good! And you are so right. I am the one who quits books easily when they don't draw me in quickly.

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Tanya, I need to catch up on blog reading, so I'll head your way now to check it out. You should look into Bob Goff- two of my favorite books ever are by him: Love Does and Everybody Always.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I think Set On You looks good. I have the second book in the "series" on my wish list.

Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

Jennifer Goodwin said...

Lauren, that book is on TBR list as well!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I'm so glad you're here today; thanks for joining in with me from time to time. If you're anything li...