Wednesday, August 31, 2022

the books I read in August

 




Happy Wednesday, friends and welcome to my double post day. Don't miss out on either one today...I linked up with some other bloggers for a What's Up Wednesday post and I also wanted to share the books I read this month, even though it was a slow reading month for me. It was slow for a couple of reasons: one, I started working part time and two, I could not find a book that I liked enough to continue reading. Don't you hate it when that happens? That being said, I'll jump in with this post. Click on each image to be redirected to Amazon. All of the descriptions I share are from Good Reads. 


First up was The Beach House by Rachel Hanna. 



⭐⭐⭐⭐// really liked it

Julie's husband of 21 years was living a secret life, which ended her marriage and forced her to start over alone at 43 years old. Faced with a new reality, she decides to rebuild her life on an island off the coast of South Carolina and learn to make it on her own. The only thing she isn't expecting is to be thrown together with her estranged sister, the flower child wanna-be, yoga teaching bane of her existence She also doesn't expect to meet a handsome stranger who will help her transform the money pit she accidentally bought into the home of her dreams. As she starts to create a life she loves, her husband causes a wrench in her plans once again. Will she be forced to help the man who broke her heart? Or will she finally break away and live life on her terms? 


Personal thoughts: Though I predicted how it turned out, I really enjoyed this book. It was clean, which I always appreciate and it was an extremely quick read. I went ahead and got the next one in the series to see what happens next. 


My second book of the month was Ten Beach Road by Wendy Wax.



⭐⭐⭐⭐// really liked it


Madeline, Avery and Nikki are strangers to each other, but they have one thing in common. They each wake up on morning to discover their life savings have vanished, along with their trusted financial manager, leaving them with nothing but co-ownership of a ramshackle beachfront house. Throwing their lots in together, they take on the challenge of restoring the historic property. But just as they begin to reinvent themselves and discover the power of friendship, secrets threaten to tear down their trust and destroy their lives a second time.


Personal thoughts: I've been wanting to read this one a long time! I really liked it, as I stated above, but I found out that it was a series and I don't know if I'm that committed to it. I honestly don't know if I'm going to read the second book. I'll think about it and let you know. It was really good, don't get me wrong, but there were times when it just didn't move along fast enough for my personal taste. It's my first Wendy Wax book. Have you read her before? Do you have thoughts?


Lastly, I read Friends Forever by Danielle Steel.



⭐⭐⭐⭐//really liked it

`Five children meet on the first day of kindergarten. In the years that follow, they become friends and even more than friends. Together, they will find strength, meet challenges, face life's adventures, endure loss, face stark realities, and open their hearts. In this moving novel, Steel traces their unforgettable journey--full of tests and trials--as three boys and two girls discover the vital bonds that will last a lifetime. Friends Forever Gabby, Billie, Izzie, Andy and Sean, each bursting with their own personality, strikingly different looks and talents in sports, science and the arts. Each drawn by the magical spark of connection that happens to the young. At the exclusive Atwood school, on a bright September day, they become known as the Big Five. In this rare world, five families grow closer and five children bloom beside one another, unaware of the storms gathering around them. As they face each age and their lives separate and diverge, the challenges and risks become greater, the losses sharper, and the right paths harder to choose in their journey of friendship, survival and love. 


Personal thoughts: Danielle Steel's books never let me down. Some I really like, others I love and some I skip all together. After a month of duds, this was what I needed to get me back on track. Have you read her books? Her earlier books are a little "smutty", but her writing style changed and I love almost all of what she's written in the last fifteen years. She's written SO MANY books! 


I would love to hear from you now! Have you read anything new and noteworthy lately? If so, I always love suggestions! Do you read differently when the seasons change? I'm more prone to reading suspense and mystery during the colder months. Don't ask why, because I couldn't tell you! Feel free to tell me what to read now. Thanks for reading my blog! Love to all. 


p.s. Check out my old Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books that I pulled out recently! I love old books.



4 comments:

  1. My hubby has a big collection of "Hardy Boys" books. He loved them as a kid and I believer he has almost the full collection of some of the older editions. I've never even read one of them. I really guess I should do that some time. My oldest is an avid reader because one summer on vacation we found some old Mickey Mouse Club show on TV and they were showing the Hardy Boys on it. After watching those that week, she decided to read one of dad's books and her love affair with reading began them and has never stopped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I haven't read any of these! I used to read every single Daniel Steel book that came out but honestly she writes so many it's hard to keep up. I read a cook called The Beach House but it was part of a series written by Mary Alice Monroe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, that is such a cool story! I wasn't as big on the Hardy Boys as I was Nancy Drew. I read every book in the series and actually owned them all at one point, but back in the day, I would trade old books in for "new" books to support my habit. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne, it IS hard to keep up with all her books. She's written SO MANY! This one was good...not my fav, but definitely good and worth the read. I do have a favorite by her and now I'm wondering which one it is. I've read so many of hers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites! 5.3.2024

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...