Monday, May 11, 2020

Hello Monday/a book review/weekending


Happy Monday, friends!  I'm linking up with Tanya at The Other Side of the Road, and her friends, for this blog post. 

How was your weekend?  Ours was okay.  The weather here has been so pretty, and cooler, but it's making my sinuses go crazy and I have suffered with that since last week.  I wanted to try to get out, but then I would and would start feeling dizzy, so I slept a lot.  I seem to feel better when I take naps.


I've been on a break from cooking since Thursday night.  We have food in the house, I just haven't cooked a meal.  I don't know what they've been eating, but I've eaten leftovers twice.  I did make some pasta for me on Friday night (the rest of them were out and Todd wanted Popeyes), and Jonah had some too.  I started this book that night, because the sequel to it released just last week, and I received a copy of it to read and review here on my blog.  I don't say that lightly; I am always so grateful to authors for including me in this honor of helping launching their books.  I don't know how they get my name, but I am glad they do.  Robin's assistant is always the one who reaches out to me to send me books.  And though I was sent a free e-version of the book, I still bought myself a hard copy, because I prefer that to the electronic version.  (This time that couldn't be helped, nobody is sending out physical copies right now because of COVID-19.)

Robin Jones Gunn is my favorite author of all time.  I've been reading her books since I was about thirteen years old, and now I'm forty-three...so for thirty years, she has had this place in my heart.  She has this way with words that is beautiful, and I can always see the picture with words she paints.  This book is so very good.  It's so much more than just "so very good", it's really beautiful and I cried through a good portion of it.  I needed to read some of the words inside of it this weekend, and it was like a balm to my weary soul.  I always feel a little gloomy when I don't feel good, and add to that sons who wait for the very last minute to do anything (even for mother's day), and well, I just needed to read truth from Scripture and the reminder that God sees me and hears me when I cry. 

Yes, this is a fiction book, but it is all of that and so much more.

There is a verse for this book that the story plays off of, and I love how the New Living Translation captures the words:

Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God's glory.  Romans 5:2

This is the first book in the series, Haven Makers.  This particular book is all about the bond that women form as friends, and all of her books would make excellent book club books and include questions at the end of the book, should you want to do that.  There is something so sweet about friendships and godly women who love and spur you on to love and good works.  I'm grateful for my friends that fall into that category, and I think that's why I always love books like this.  Don't just take my word~try them out for yourself!  You can order online at any of your favorite retailers. 


Right now in the chronological order of the Bible I'm reading through, we are in the book of Psalm.  It has been so good!  God knew I would need these words right now, and this was what I read on Saturday morning in my quiet time. 

After this time with the Lord, I dressed and went to Kroger.  I was standing in line to checkout, when I heard someone say my name, and I turned around and saw my favorite cashier who works there, Donna.  We caught up for a few minutes, and then she handed me a mother's day card!


Not just any card, either, but a beautiful one with one of my favorite passages of Scripture written on the outside.  I was shocked, needless to say, and may have teared up over this precious gift.  I wished I could have given her a hug, but I thanked her profusely for this gift, and put it in my purse to open later.  Wasn't that a sweet kiss from the King?  He is always so good to me, and so loving!  I almost feel like He personally reached out and hugged me through this sweet woman of God whom I've gotten to know over the years.

Todd and I went to Lowe's for a few things when I got back home from the store, and then I came home, ate lunch and took a long nap.  That night he was outside with the boys doing things with their vehicles, and I stayed inside to watch my show on Hulu, eat dinner, and finish the book I raved about above. 


Sunday we watched church online (only two more and then we can meet in real person again!) and celebrated these two lovely ladies. 

Normally we would have gone out to lunch to do this, but you know, Corona and all that.

It was a pretty good weekend.  How was yours?  I would love to hear! 

Thanks for reading, love to all.

2 comments:

  1. All last week I felt like I had a slight headache, I think from sinus problems. I can't wait to go to church and out to lunch again someday soon! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the worst, the nagging ones that won't fully go away. That's exactly what I've been dealing with. I feel so much better today, though, and I'm so glad! Thank you, I hope you have a great one, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...