Wednesday, October 9, 2019

update on the house

This week, on Monday afternoon, we started the whole new window installation process.  I have so many things to say about this, but it's been the best and easiest process to date.  We're using a local man who owns his own small business (I always love this!), and he is the kindest, timeliest man.  He says they'll be here at 7:30, he is here right on time.  We didn't expect this yesterday, and we were slightly unprepared, but today that wasn't the case.  I have his information for anyone who needs it, I can't say enough about him and his employee that sometimes comes to help him.

Here what I walked into on Monday.  I had gone to work for a bit at our church, then came home and packed a to go lunch, and went to my friend Abbey's house to eat and catch up.


We thought about doing one large window here, instead of three small ones, but who knew that was such a price difference.  I love our new ones, though!  Here is what it looks like today.


They're the kind that open from the top and the bottom for easy cleaning, and they have very unnoticeable screens, which we love, because in the sixteen years we've lived here, we've been unable to open the windows (the previous owners had painted them all shut).  We love to do this when it's cool outside and have already had them open a lot.  We went with windows with panes on the front and side, but on the back, we went with the ones with no panes.  Secretly, I wish we had gone with no panes all over, but it's too late to change it now.  He installed these three on Monday afternoon, and yesterday, he and his employee installed nine.  There are seven more today.  After that he has to do some outside work and some of them need replacement panels due to flaws from the manufacturer, but no more reciprocating saw after today!  Insert praise hands emoji.

Jonah took this picture for me yesterday as he was walking outside to leave, and look at how sad our little home is.


They had to take all the shutters and awnings off, because they were all in the way, and Todd gave them the okay to haul them off when they're done.  I think his employee is going to take the awnings and use them for his deer stand.  Todd went ahead and called the man who will be doing our new siding and told him it would be just a few more days.  We're going with gray vinyl siding, which has a lifetime warranty.  (Praise hands again!)  It's called granite, but it's a medium gray color.  I had a small moment last night when I completely changed my mind, but my neighbor was here and talked me back into the gray again.  Our new shutters will be black, the trim and garage doors will remain white, and our front door will be a pop of color, most likely a rich turquoise color.  Here are a couple of colors I'm considering.


This one is Loch Blue, by Sherwin Williams.  I also like this one below, called Oceanside, also S.W.


I want it to be rich and bold looking.  Keep in mind, the siding will be a medium gray.  We won't have an awning over the front door anymore, but my stepdad is building a structure for us to provide porch cover.  We were thinking something with an actual roof with shingles, but we're leaning more to a tin roof covering now, which was my original idea.  Todd was looking at some last night as examples, but here is something similar.


It would be somewhat like this, but with more of a slope on the roof.  Eventually we will want something for the back door as well, but we're waiting on that for now.  We're also replacing and enlarging our deck, so hopefully it will be used more again.  We used to go out there and eat, but the whole things needs to be replaced, because we're not sure of how safe it is anymore.  It's original to the house, so it's time.

It'll be like we have a new house when it's all over and done with!  Which is why I told Todd I would be happy to make this the home we'll be in forever.  There are things we'll do more for the inside eventually, but I'm so glad the biggest items will be done on the outside of the house.  And it's such a great thing having peace of mind about the fact that our pipes have all been replaced.  We've enjoyed the new hot water heater, too, and have all just about scaled ourselves over the temperature difference.

Well, that's about all I've got for now.  I wanted to share about this so I can look back on it someday, and for anyone who is interested.  I feel like we're in the homestretch.  Thanks for reading!  Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...