Monday, March 25, 2019

encouragement for your Monday


I have always loved this verse, from Proverbs 18:10. 

"The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are protected."

I know the wording there is "strong tower", but doesn't that remind you a little bit of a structure like a lighthouse?  It seems similar to me, because it's just what my mind sees when I see those two words. 

Have you ever seen a lighthouse in person?  I have, and it is definitely a sight to behold.  It is almost always a tall structure, and there is a light at the top of it that rotates in every direction.  I just found out (thanks to Google) that it is usually placed in a dangerous area to help ships navigate in or around that place.  There is such a spiritual picture in this for me! 

When I looked up the cross references for this verse in my bible, here are some verses listed beside this one in Proverbs. 

The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer, my God, my mountain where I seek refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.  Psalm 18:2

...for You have been a refuge for me, a strong tower in the face of the enemy.  Psalm 61:3

I will say to the LORD, "My refuge, and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."  Psalm 91:2

He is my faithful love and my fortress, my stronghold, and my deliverer.  He is my shield, and I take refuge in Him; He subdues my people under me.  Psalm 144:2

The fear of man is a snare, but the one who trusts in the LORD is protected.  Proverbs 29:25

I love all those descriptive words that describe who God is: rock, fortress, deliverer, God, mountain, shield, stronghold, refuge, faithful love, protected.

Like a lighthouse provides light, and guidance for the sailor, that is what the Lord is for us who love Him.  It says "the righteous", but if you are a believer and follower of Jesus, then that is you and me.  The Lord does so much more than that, though, He does all that I listed in the adjectives above.  This is one reason I love to sing songs about Him as my shield and deliverer. 

What does this mean for us today?  It means that even though trials come, we are lovingly protected by our Father in heaven.  It doesn't mean that things will always go the way we plan and hope for, but it does mean that even when things are uncertain and scary, we can lean on Him, and He will get us through whatever we face.  God is sovereign, and He is always good, no matter the circumstance, because He is God.

This means that God is trustworthy.  Proverbs 3:5 and 6 tells us to trust Him and He will guide us. 

It means that God will help us, always.  Psalm 121:2 tells us that our help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.

So, when I pray about whatever I'm facing, whether just a normal day in my life or a particularly difficult time or situation, I pray to Him as my helper, my strength and strong tower, my shield, my protector.  He is all those things to me, and many more.  I am praying that this encourages someone today!  Know that before I hit the "publish" button, I prayed for you. 

Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...