Tuesday, November 13, 2018

dinner and a movie

The older I get, the more I love to stay home.  My food is also way better than what is offered in most restaurants, and I don't mean to say that in a braggy type way, but it's true.  I love to cook, and my food is seasoned the way I like it.  The last few times I've eaten out, unless it was Mexican food or sushi, I didn't care for it that much.  I sound old, don't I? 

Last night was not a date night, but Todd, Noah, and I all ended up at the table eating dinner at the same time.  Jonah ate earlier, Graham and Rachel went to a college bible study, and Drew went to a friend's basketball game.  Noah had Rotel with taco meat inside (YUM!) and I made a giant pot of taco soup.

My favorite.  I thought I'd share the recipe for anyone who wants to consider making it for themselves.


Taco soup:

2 lbs of ground beef
2 packets of taco seasoning
1 packet of dry ranch dressing mix
1 can of Rotel
1 can of corn
1 can of black beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 large container of V8 tomato juice (or generic brand veggie juice)
sour cream
shredded cheese
cilantro
Fritos scoops or tortilla chips to crumble over the top

Brown the meat, drain the fat, add in the taco seasoning and a bit of hot water to make it melt into the meat.  Add in the ranch dressing mix, Rotel, corn, beans (but drain and rinse off the beans first), and tomato or veggie juice.  Simmer in a covered pot for about thirty minutes.  I like to garnish mine with the shredded cheese, sour cream, and cilantro.  It would also be really good served with cornbread.

It's so easy, and so tasty.  I always double this recipe so we can eat on it all week.  For a healthier option, you could switch out the ground beef for shredded chicken (rotisserie chickens from the grocery store are good cheats). 

After dinner, we ended up alone again, Toddley and I, so we decided to watch a movie.  I have been wanting to re-watch The Firm (filmed in Memphis).  I loved it when I was in high school, and I think I had only seen it that one time.  The movie was good, but the book was INCREDIBLE.  I remember reading it in high school before the movie came out, and it was all anyone could talk about, also because we knew so many people who were in the movie as extras.  (I live near Memphis.)  It was every bit as good as I remember. 

Then I talked him into a fire, and started it before the movie.


So cozy!  I love cold weather.  This is why.  It was a glorious night, and one that I stayed up past ten.  Ha!  I'm always up at four something, so I'm in bed by nine thirty most nights.  Like I said....I am making myself sound old.  ;)

It's another cold night in my part of the country, so maybe this will inspire someone to make something warm and comforting for dinner tonight.  Thanks for reading!  Love to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

a day in the life post on a Tuesday

  Happy Tuesday, friends! I'm taking notes from Joanne and Maria ; I decided to write my version of a day in the life post. This will h...