Tuesday, January 5, 2016

show & tell Tuesday


It seems appropriate that on the day I'm starting school again for my kiddos, this is what I'm talking about...a reintroduction, of sorts, along with a little of new for the new year.  I'm linking up with Andrea at Momfessionals for the writing of this blog post.


You know who I am, I know, but for the sake of new people who might be reading, my name is Jennifer.  I am wife to Toddley (Todd, but Toddley is my nickname for him), and mom to Graham (16), Drew (15), Jonah (12) and Noah (12).  


This picture I was trying to take of Todd and myself is perfect~he hates having his picture taken and blocked his face with his own phone, taking a picture of me trying to take our picture.  That was complicated to write.  And do, but kudos to him for the cool picture.


Graham is in the green shirt, Drew in the black, Noah is in front of Drew and Jonah is in front with Graham's arm around him.  This was a few years ago.  (A lifetime, it seems, nowadays Graham and Drew are taller than me.)

Nowadays they look more like this.  (Left to right are Jonah, Graham, Drew, Noah and Alex, my bonus son.)


We homeschool.  And we love it.  Our days are simple and relaxing and mostly stress-free.  

We love the Lord with all of our hearts, minds, souls and strength.  I am a discipler of my own kids, thanks to my church home and family, for providing me with tools I need to be able to do that.  We have taught our kids that God comes first, and church activities come before anything other activity.  Going to church each week has never been an option for any of them, and it will never be one.  As long as they live at home, they will attend, but with no complaints from them.  It's where they would all rather be than any other place, and all of their friends come from the walls within.  (Mine too.)  

Our kids used to play sports when they were young, for church rec teams, but they don't really do that anymore.  They do, however, love to get a group of friends together on a Sunday afternoon to play soccer.  But it's all for fun and games.  

I hate competitiveness.  And I have a competitive husband and two sons.  The other two are just like me, without a competitive bone in their body.  You will never hear me arguing to prove a point, and you will never see me fighting someone for something.  I am a peacemaker by nature and just want everyone to get along.  (I know that usually doesn't happen, though, but I do try to lend a voice of reason to tough situations.)  This peace in me comes from God, my Prince of peace.  

I love to be with my family and my friends.  I love being with teenagers, and am a leader of sorts, in our youth group at church.  (I do not claim to be a teacher, because that is not my spiritual gift.  I can lead a discussion, though and lead by example.)  I love to read and I love to sing.  I am never without a book nearby and there is almost constant music in our home.  I used to make up songs and sing them to my kids everyday, and can still do that when the need arises.  (To embarrass them.)  

I don't really "do" new year's resolutions each year, but I do try to set some realistic goals each year.  (I am also going to do this monthly, but more about that tomorrow!)  Here are some things I'd like to do in the year 2016.

I would like to watch less television and read more books.  I was really bad about binge watching my favorite shows on Netflix in 2015, and I do not want to that again.  And something new for me with reading is that I only want to read books written by Christian authors.  I am a firm believer that if you put garbage in your mind, garbage will come out.  I'm on my second book of the new year already, so we'll see how well I can keep up with this one.

I would like to speak more kindly at all times.  I don't speak unkindly, necessarily, but I can definitely  get snippy with my husband and kids.  I'm trying to stop that and live out Ephesians 4:29.

"No foul language is to come from your mouth, but only what is good for building up someone in need, so that it gives grace to those who hear."

I love that version of this verse~I recently got a new bible, the HCSB translation and I am loving it!

I would also like to get moving more.  I am currently in a walking boot for a foot with a stress fracture, but I will (hopefully!) be out of it on January 13.  When that happens, I am hoping to get outside more and start walking.  (You can pray for me in this!  I need the prayers and the motivation.)

I would like to spend more time with those I love, so I'd love to be more intentional in my family relationships and friendships.  I'd like to play games more, with them, because everyone seems to have so much fun together when games are being played.  

I want to grow closer to God in this year.  That's my goal each year, and He is faithful to see that through to completion.  Each year I love Him more than the year before, and I write it all down in the pages of my journal.  He does that for me, this is nothing that I can accomplish on my own.  


That's about it, my friends.  I think those are all pretty realistic, wouldn't you agree?  We'll see how it all goes!  I look forward to the year, and I can't wait to see what God does.  Thanks for reading!  Love to all.  

(Feel free to leave some comment love with your goals/resolutions for 2016!  I love reading your thoughts.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

a day in the life post on a Tuesday

  Happy Tuesday, friends! I'm taking notes from Joanne and Maria ; I decided to write my version of a day in the life post. This will h...