Monday, March 30, 2015

the weekend & the things that Cinderella taught me

Wow!  After I wrote the blog post about my Today Show blog post, so many of you voted.  Thank you so much!  I am humbled by all your sweet words, and I appreciate the support, both on that post and on this blog.  I'm thankful for all of you who take the time to read it, and I pray that my words are always honoring to my Savior.

This was an amazing weekend.  I am so bummed that I did not take even one picture of our Friday night.  I guess we were having too much fun to stop and take the time.  I had over my dad and my dad~in~love, for a birthday dinner to celebrate them both.  My dad turned eighty-four yesterday and Wiley turned seventy-two on Thursday.  We had a yummy dinner, and we just sat and talked for hours, while the kids all played outside.  It was lovely.

On Saturday morning, my mom and my sister Trish picked me up, and we went to the Spring Market at the Agricenter.  It was fun!  That's usually not my kind of thing, but I had a great time with them.  I just wanted to be with them~I didn't care what we did, as long as we spent time together.  While I was gone, Todd took the boys to a drag car race out at the race track in Millington.  They froze the whole day!  It actually snowed here Saturday.  At five thirty, I met one of my dearest friends at McAllister's, and with her and our ninth and tenth grade community group girls, we all went to see Cinderella.

The movie was AMAZING.  I cannot say that enough.  I saw so many spiritual pictures throughout the movie, so maybe that's why I loved it so much.  I cried from the beginning until the end.  It was beautiful, and I had forgotten so much of the movie, having not seen it since I was a young girl.




It was my most favorite movie growing up.  I have always been a sucker for romance!  

Throughout the entire movie, I caught hints of Scripture.  When Ella's mom died when she was a young girl, her parting message to Ella was, "Be kind.  Have courage."  That reminded me of Joshua 1:7, which says, "Be strong and very courageous...".  I know that in that passage the Lord was instructing Joshua to take the land He had promised to him, but I couldn't help but be reminded of the scripture when I heard the line in Cinderella.  

Another beautiful picture I got in this movie was seeing how Prince Charming pursued Ella.  My friends~do you have any idea how much the Lord pursues us?  He does!  I couldn't help but think of Him over and over as I saw Prince Charming pursue Ella.  After he met her in the forest, he was never the same, much like WE are never the same after meeting our Lord and Savior and starting a relationship with Him.

In the part of the movie when Ella's fairy Godmother comes and transforms her into a beautiful princess, I couldn't help but be reminded of how we are transformed as we renew our minds in the word of God.  He literally transforms us into something beautiful!  Even if you don't feel that way on the outside, I promise that you are.  And to Him, what is most beautiful is our heart, because we know that He doesn't look at outward appearance, but our hearts (1 Samuel 6:7).  

The last thing I got from the movie was at the end when the glass slipper was being tried on by all the maidens in the land.  In the times when the Bible was written, did you know that a shoe (a sandal) was often exchanged as a deal for land, or as a betrothal?  You know who that reminds me of?  Boaz.  Talk about a real life Prince Charming!  He loved and cared for Ruth~he was her kinsman redeemer.  The Hebrew term means, "a male relative who delivers or rescues".  And Boaz and Ruth have a happy ending, just like this movie~Ruth was the grandmother or the great-grandmother to David, son of Jesse, and out of the lineage of David, guess Who came?  Jesus.  

In the movie, the slipper fit Ella perfectly and thus began the start of the rest of their lives together, much like when we meet our Lord and Savior.  When we begin a relationship with Him, that is when the rest of our life starts.  

Y'all.  This movie blew me away.  But the whole time, all this was running through my head, so do you see why I loved it so?  I came home and wrote all this down in my journal, then I read in Ruth.  

I will be buying the movie when it comes out.  And I will watch it over and over again with anyone who will watch it with me.  

Thanks for going along with me here.  I pray your day is wonderful and that you see the goodness of my Jesus.  Love to all.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree, Jennifer! A beautiful movie that I'm certain wasn't even meant to have so many spiritual overtones, and yet because we are in Him we could see it. I especially loved the lesson about forgiveness at the end ... something the step-mother had never learned and thus had become the source of her bitterness and ugliness toward Ella. A beautiful movie. I will be buying it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept wondering through the duration of the movie, if anyone else was "getting it" like I was, Beth! And you are right about the picture of forgiveness too, I didn't get that connection at the time. It was a beautiful movie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Thankful Thursday

  Happy Thursday, friends! I can't believe it's already this day in the week. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was getting ready ...