Thursday, December 18, 2014

things about my boys that I love

I have been stewing on this for a few days in my journal, when the idea to make it a blog post finally dawned on me.  I love being a mom.  When I was a little girl, it was the only thing I ever wanted to be.  I would play with my dolls nonstop, in my room, and wherever I went, they went with me.  I even had a set of twin dolls, which is really funny now that I have twins.  My mom said that I used to say that I only wanted boys, and at one time I specified that I wanted four boys.

Be careful with what you wish for.  ;)

Joking aside, I do love being a boy mom.  I love that there is no drama.  They aren't that particular with how they dress.  In fact, up until the past two years, all they wanted to wear were athletic clothes.  When Graham hit fourteen, all that changed.  The same has rung true with Drew.  They don't really need tons of shoes~just a pair of tennis shoes, a nice pair of shoes and a pair of summer shoes (like Chacos).  Jonah doesn't even need all that~the only pair he ever wants or wears is tennis shoes.

I love that they are fiercely protective of me.  I kid about being the only female in my household, but trust me, there are perks.  I never touch a trash can.  I hardly ever have to open doors, because they always go ahead of me and hold it open for me.  Not all boys are like this, I know, but my husband has done an amazing job of teaching them the same things his dad taught him.

It has been said to me that things would change once they hit their teen years.  I haven't seen that change happen, though.  Even my least affectionate son, Graham, will just stand and hug me with all his strength for a good five minutes.  He'll kiss my cheek and say, "I love you, Mommy."  And he's almost sixteen years old.  He's been that way forever and  even in a crowd of his friends, he will hug me and kiss my cheek and tell me that he loves me.

They are very open with me and they love to talk to both Todd and to me.  Last night I was going to bed and Drew got all excited and asked if he could come lay on my bed and talk.  And before I knew it, Jonah and Noah were there too.  I love this about them, and though the subjects may eventually change that we talk about, they know my door is (literally) always open.

There are some things about them that are just gross and they laugh when I get a disgusted look on my face, and Todd usually laughs right along with them.  That's usually when I call it quits for the day and excuse myself to my room, where I can read in bed.  I love being their mom.  I always have and I always will.  I was not made to be a girl mom.  Yes, I love teenage girls, but I also love when I can send them home.

I thank God every single day for giving me these kids.  It's crazy and loud and chaotic in my household, but it's also loads of fun.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  Love to all.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog!

Friday Favorites: 4.19.2024.

  Happy Friday, friends! I'm linking up with  Andrea  and  Erika  for today's favorite blog post of the week. How has your week been...